SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Old-Fashioned Braided Fishing Line For Slip-Bobber Stops

8/18/18 @ 8:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Old farts like myself remember the days when bait-casting reels were often spooled with braided line (mono was still catching on for use with conventional reels).  This line was nothing like the small-diameter, slippery braided lines of today.  It was low-tech stuff, and I don't know if it's even made anymore.  I certainly can't find it.

I find that that old-fashioned line makes the very best stopper knots for slip bobbers, and best by a huge margin too, but I'm running out of my ancient supply.  I also find that the store-bought, pre-tied stopper knots are made using just about the worst choice of material, because after a several casts and passing through the rod guides, the line starts to fray and the leading edge of the knot puffs up and it can't be re-snugged on account of the fraying.  Then, if it snags badly on a rod guide during a cast, and at some point it will, you'll get the worst backlash ever if you are using a conventional reel.  Gosh, I'd like to find some more of that old-fashioned braided line, just for bobber-stop knots.  Anyone have any ideas, or a next-best alternative?

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts
9/2/18 @ 12:56 AM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

"Too much jagging around with lines etc. Also they ball up with ice when it’s cold enough. I use the little rubber stops with a wire thru them.     Any comments? "

Well, I have never used those so I have a question.  Even the smallest of those rubber stops are at least 10 times larger in diameter than a stop knot, yet as I noted in my original post, even a stop knot that gets a tiny bit frayed can catch for an instant when going through your rod guides on a cast, and though no big deal with a spinning reel, it's absolutely intolerable with a conventional reel on account of the backlash it creates.  Does a stopper that's that large actually pass flawlessly through your guides when casting?  I can't imagine that it would, but I only base that on what seems logical.

In any case, I don't consider tying a stop knot to be "too much jagging around", since it takes like 10 seconds to do it if your fingers are nimble.

9/1/18 @ 1:23 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Too much jagging around with lines etc. Also they ball up with ice when it’s cold enough. I use the little rubber stops with a wire thru them.     Any comments?   CARPIO 

8/21/18 @ 9:20 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

My dad taught me to use dental floss to tie the slip bobber knots, works great.

8/21/18 @ 8:44 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I have a new favorite that I found at Fleet. Pink dacron replaces the 15# green spot dacron that I used for years. In pinch I still sometimes use 8# mono from the leftover tag end of the Palomar knot I tie on my hook with. I tie a 4 or 5 turn overhand knot around the poly main line that I tension by cranking on the reel to cause a "bow"in the fish rod. This is important because without the tension home tied stops can prevent the knot from sliding properly, without damage to the main line. Dacron was the super line of its day. The old black nylon braid and more recent clear mono, both stretch like a rubber band. Dacron's low stretch was a game changer just like poly lines are today.

8/20/18 @ 4:16 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Yes, this is for tying a stop knot right onto the main fishing line.  Though the pre-tied stopper knots are easy if starting from scratch, they can't be applied to a line that's already been rigged. 

8/20/18 @ 8:56 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Braided Dacron, thought it was still available, perhaps I will have to look for it.  It is a great line for teaching kids how to cast a baitcaster.  Tighten that baby down, till they can cast 15' without a rats nest, then let them cast farther and farther.  I guess its a good line, because it is like rope and the nests are easy to get out!
8/19/18 @ 11:45 AM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

Are you just tying it to your line or do you prep something ahead of time (similar to a pretied bobber stop)?

8/19/18 @ 8:18 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I believe fleet farm carries braided ice fishing line that may be what you like.

8/18/18 @ 9:55 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Well now, that was simple.  Thanks so much.  I have looked numerous times in the local stores and haven't seen it, and when searching online all I see is the high-tech stuff.  Adding "Dacron" to the keywords when searching shows that yes, it's still out there.  Problem solved!

8/18/18 @ 9:45 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

thought that was Dacron line... still available 

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE