MORE
Fishing Equipment

new sonar

6/6/20 @ 12:35 PM
INITIAL POST
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Looking to buy a new sonar, the two that i have now are 14 years old!I have birds on the front and sc after reading some reviews on birds I am wondering if I should go lowrance thoughts.

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
6/9/20 @ 1:23 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

You need to ask yourself a few questions...such as...

What do you need in a sonar unit?  What do you want in a sonar unit?  And...what is your budget?

My advice is to get the biggest screen that you can on a Humminbird.  I prefer Helix.  Side imaging is a must for me.

And I did link the Helix to my Ulterra.  And I'm using my Ulterra transducer for my bow mounted old sonar, as I only want depth and temperature up there.

Telling yah, the linking feature is amazing and is worth the extra coin to do that and make sure you get the trolling motor and Sonar unit working together.

It'll cost yah a pretty penny, but I feel the tech is worth it.  

But...for some other guys that I know, they don't see value in that sort of thing.  And they don't need it.  

I don't fish as much anymore and when I hit the water, I want as much "on my side" for an advantage as I can get.

6/6/20 @ 3:09 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Well, hummingbird is one of the best out there,  you pay a little more but you see more . I am a lowrance guy , had two on my old boat and I have a elite 9 ti on my current boat, one other to look at is Garmin, I have one on my helm and love it as well. It more comes down to how much you wanna spend and what size of screen you want.  Hummingbird is more compatible with Minnekota and Lowrance is to Motorguide . Hummingbird Helix 5 series is one of the best bangs for the buck. 

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE