SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Networking two Humminbirds together.

3/10/21 @ 12:50 AM
INITIAL POST
Riverhunt
User since 2/19/08

I have a Helix 9 mega si di gps g2n on the console. I would like to add a graph on the bow. I have a Terrova minn kota with the xdcr (not the mega just the gs2) integrated trolling motor. My question is do I need to purchase another Helix mega for the bow or can I just purchase a network capable Helix Bird to be able to get the side/di imaging from the Helix 9? I dont want to go too expensive. I have some built up gift cards to use. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.

Riverhunt

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
4/26/21 @ 10:26 PM
Fillet Show
User since 7/14/08

Get out there and enjoy that setup.  Real clean work there Riverhunt.

4/25/21 @ 11:26 PM
Riverhunt
User since 2/19/08

Finished up the bird hook up. Still have to tie up the last of the wire hides but mostly complete. The Helix 7 looks a lot smaller than the Helix 9. Now just have to get out on the water to test out.

Riverhunt

Networking two Humminbirds together. photo by Riverhunt
4/25/21 @ 3:08 PM
Fillet Show
User since 7/14/08

Pretty sweet Riverhunt.  I’m jelly.

4/24/21 @ 11:05 PM
Riverhunt
User since 2/19/08

Part of my install, LED accent lights.

Riverhunt

4/21/21 @ 8:30 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

It's not rocket surgery.... hardest part is fishing all the wiring/cables thru to where they need to go. Final transducer location might need some tweaking, but that's a simple task.

If there ever is an issue, YOU know where all the wires are routed, connections are made, etc. No need to bring in to the dealer.

Best of all, you can take a little pride in doing it yourself.

4/20/21 @ 12:11 PM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

I say leave to the dealer. My bow mount trolling motor and 2 Humminbirds  are flawless.

Networking two Humminbirds together. photo by Analog man
4/19/21 @ 11:54 PM
Riverhunt
User since 2/19/08

I started out just going to install a bow locator and network that to the bird at the helm. While planning that install, I decided I would also finally install the heading sensor for my trolling motor. After planning the location for that and since I was going to be running wires for the locator and heading sensor, I decided to install LED accent lighting as well.  I may have bit off more than I can chew but figured I should go ahead and run all the wires at once instead of having to go back in later on down the road to install future projects. It was a long process and after many holes drilled, I have finally ran all wires, installed the bow locator, installed the heading sensor, and completed the LED accent light install. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just have to complete the lines at the helm for networking the two birds together. Hopefully I can get out on the water soon. I am very excited about the install and very pleased with how it turned out. Pictures to come after everything is complete and all wires are tucked into their final resting place. Tight lines everyone and good fishing to all.

Riverhunt

3/28/21 @ 2:48 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

RK, it worked, thanks again. Now I just got to decided which new unit I want.

3/25/21 @ 6:44 PM
Polski
Polski

Thanks RK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I've only had this unit for about 10 years and now trying to learn how to use it when I'm thinking of replacing it. I'll let you know.

3/25/21 @ 5:35 PM
rk_diver
rk_diver
User since 8/18/03

Polski, waypoints/routes/tracks are saved to internal memory, not to the mapping card. You need to export your navigation data to an SD card, easy to do. Generally you don't want to save this data to your mapping card, if you corrupt the mapping data it's going to cost you to get it squared away. Rather grab an SD card (max. size of 32GB), export the data to this card, put the card in your new HB locator and it will import all your data. I recommend using HumminbirdPC, their free waypoint management software, to modify your data and save it to your hard drive as backup. As far as using your old Navionics card in a new HB, it depends of the original card. If it's a full size SD card and your new HB has micro-SD card slots, then no, you can't. On some of the newer Helix units they downsized from the full size SD card to the micro-SD (my Helix 9 G3N for example). Personally I like the full size cards, but at least they use a better card slot mechanism on the larger Helix's than on the Helix 7. New units lock in and release much better. Just make sure you've got the right size SD card for your new unit! Note a micro-SD card will fit into a full size adapter so it's more versatile.

3/25/21 @ 5:12 PM
Polski
Polski

Sorry a bit off topic but thought one of you could answer for me. Can I take my navionics card from my old hummingbird and put it in a new one, will all my saved way points be the same? Thanks.

3/12/21 @ 6:18 PM
Fillet Show
User since 7/14/08

Good luck Riverhunt.  Hope it goes seamless.

fs

3/12/21 @ 1:00 AM
Riverhunt
User since 2/19/08

After a chat with Humminbird yesterday, I purchased the Helix 7 chirp si gps g2n today from Cabelas.  I also purchased the ethernet cable, 2 ethernet adaptors, 1 us2 sonar adaptor, and Ram mount for the new Bird.  Im going to connect the new Bird to the us2 sonar and through network pull the mega SI/DI from the mega Helix 9 at the console.  Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions. Keep fingers crossed that everything works after I install.  Will report back once the installation is complete.

Tight lines everyone,

Riverhunt

3/11/21 @ 11:03 PM
Fillet Show
User since 7/14/08

Hound, I am running a Lund Explorer 1650 from 02.  I have a 12v Powerdrive MinnKota right now with only about 55lbs of thrust.  This conversion started with the motor, and like most things fishing, once you start replacing something, you realize how much better life would be with other upgrades.  I didn’t realize that with a 4th gen Helix, that there was a difference between Link and the reg iPilot in regards to an Ethernet connection.  I’m glad you pointed that out.  It is pricey at 235, but with all the other expenditures, it doesn’t seem like much.  I like the recommendation of someone other than a dealer.  I’ll reach out.

3/11/21 @ 4:16 PM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Here's a link to Humminbirds diagrams for different setups. From the simplest of directly connecting two units, to more complex to include trolling motor control, Talons, etc.

Click on the diagram and it will show you a list of part #'s needed.https://www.humminbird.com/support/networking-diagrams

Note: you may not have, or need, all of the gizmos shown in the diagram, but it gives you a starting point. A good boat dealer or knowledgeable outdoor shop should be able to help you - the guy working at Fleet Farm or Cabela's might not.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE