Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Need to Counterweight a couple of Rods

7/27/15 @ 1:56 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01
I put some different reels on a couple of ST Croix spinning rods. The reels were lighter so now I need to add about an ounce of weight to the rod butts.I have seen some Fuji units that you can add on but looking for other ideas. It could be as simple as screwing on the right sized brass washers etc.What has worked for you? Mrt.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/19/05 @ 5:10 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I just use floor protecters that they put on chairs.You can buy them at any hardware store.Put washers or lead shot warm them up and push them on.

8/17/15 @ 11:15 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
here's something to look at

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Rubber-Butt-Caps-Gimbals

http://www.acidrod.com/buttcaps.html

you could flatten some egg sinkers or whatever to fit into a new butt cap, or buy a 'system'

edit: same fuji system as you mentioned, plus one from mudhole...or just get the end cap and make your own weights

8/17/15 @ 11:06 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05
You can still find lead tape (strips of lead with an adhesive, just like any other tape) at off-course golf shops- wrap a few turns on the butt and wind a piece of duct over it to make it smooth to your hand and you are good to go- very removeable also.

8/17/15 @ 10:17 AM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01
That is kind of what I had in mind. I would like to find some brass washers or something like that and just glue and screw them to the base. Any ideas of what to use? Mrt.

8/14/15 @ 10:20 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
we used to take quarters and electrical tape and tape em to the butt of the rod..wasn't terrifically pretty but worked and wasn't permanent. I would say an ounce would be about 5 quarters

8/6/15 @ 4:40 AM
Marc711
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
The Fuji balancers are nice little units, but a pretty permanent install, and harder to do on a rod that's already built.

The up side is they have three interchangeable weights you can adjust.

Not a lot out there for aftermarket balancers these days.

Elk River Custom Rods
(715) 339-4209
7/28/15 @ 11:12 AM
Budman
User since 8/17/01
I wouldn't do anything permanent, in case you go back to a heavier reel. Mudhole has a couple of options. here's a link to the site. http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building?search=BUTT+WEIGHTS

7/28/15 @ 10:36 AM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
What I did to weigh rods when I was building customs was first to figure out how much weight was needed. Typically I used lead bird shot as the weight.

If the rod was already finished, I'd use a thin bladed saw and carefully cut off the end of the rod. Save that piece.

Then I'd figure out how much of the tail end of the rod blank it would take to get all the lead in. I did this by pushing in a wad of cotton and add the shot, pushing the cotton farther and farther up the rod blank until it all fit. Once I got all the lead in, I'd tape it and try the feel of the rod with the reel in place. If it was satisfactory, then I poured the shot back out and mixed up some slow-cure epoxy. I then pulled the cotton, soaked it in epoxy and reinserted it in the blank slightly deeper than before.

Then I'd add a little bit of shot, pour a little bit of epoxy, add a little more shot, more epoxy until all the shot was in the rod. Then I'd epoxy the cut off handle back in place and tape it securely and stand the rod (butt down) in the corner and let the epoxy cure. A little sanding was usually needed to clean up the epoxy where I reglued the grip, but then I had a counterbalanced rod....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.