LOGIN
Lake-Link

Microguide Upgrade

8/4/17 @ 8:49 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Has anyone ever upgraded one of their rods from standard guides to micro guides?  this generally requires fewer guides and an optimization of placement that is different than originals.  So it is more entailed than work required to replace a broken guide for example.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/10/17 @ 8:21 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Yes they do freeze up faster than normal size guides,I would never put them on a jigging rod that I use for early spring and late fall.I have also had some problems with knot ware on heavy bait casters with braid and floro leaders.

8/8/17 @ 1:35 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Just depends on how cold it is, line being used and actual ID of the guide. With temps in the low 20's, braided line and 3mm ID micros, they'll freeze up fast. Same temp, mono line and 8mm ID fly guides, not as fast and really not much different than traditional guides. Most factory made rods may say "micro guides" but they are just single foot fly rod guides that actually have a fairly large ID, I have typically seen 8mm and some of the better rods with 6mm. 

8/8/17 @ 11:58 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

Question for those of you with experience with micro guides.  any issue with them freezing up in cold weather, more than traditional guides?

8/8/17 @ 7:37 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I have a pile of Kistler LTX II with the custom shark grip handles.  Cant buy them anymore anywhere....at some point I assume the guides will fail and these blanks and handle setups would need to be reguided.  Kistler will do this upgrade for $90....which is cheaper than a new rod.  That is kind of the reason for question - thank you for feedback.  

8/7/17 @ 6:23 PM
fishhook
fishhook
User since 9/16/01

I figured so,but just gave you my opinion on how much I like them. I wouldn't waste time and money on putting them on an old rod. 

Maybe a new custom rod is in your near future!

8/7/17 @ 3:22 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I've never replaced traditional guides from a factory rod but I do build all my own rods with micros. With correct placement of micros, you would actually use more guides. As an example a traditional 7' factory built spinning rod, there would likely be around 7 guides total. A well built custom rod with micros would have 8-11(ish) guides. All depends on the handle placement, reel used and guides used. 

To convert a factory rod to a good micro set up, it would be very probable that all guides would need to be removed and most, if not all, replaced with different sizes and style. 

The advantage of micros is solely weight reduction. Reducing weight on (especially) the top 1/2 of the rod greatly changes felt weight and action of the blank itself. Unless you have an older rod (15+yrs) with a good blank built with a traditional guide set up, I'm not sure it is worth the effort. Most decent newer factory rods have some version of a micro guide set up. The newer factory rods that don't have some kind of micro guide set up, are going to be so low in quality to start with that spending the money and time, would not be worth the minimal gain on those rods. 

8/7/17 @ 9:13 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I was specifically talking about changing out the guides on an existing rod. 

8/5/17 @ 8:10 AM
fishhook
fishhook
User since 9/16/01

I had micro guides put on 3 of my custom built walleye jigging rods. 

The reason was for less weight,& durability.

amazing results,would not hesitate putting them on another custom rod.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.