LOGIN
Lake-Link

Map Chip for Helix

4/13/17 @ 12:57 PM
ORIGNAL POST
4Lakes
4Lakes
User since 6/22/01

Tried do a search for this topic and was surprised I couldn't find a previous thread, so am starting a new topic.

My question is what map chip should I get for my Helix? Should I go with the Humminbird Lakemaster or something else???

Andy

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/30/17 @ 8:20 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Tim you are right. When Humminbird bought out Lakemaster Lowrance purchased a dataset from Lakemaster. The differences you see in the lakes could be things either company has added or changed since.

The new LakeMaster chips (2012- present) will not work in anything other than humminbird. The files on the card can only be read by Humminbird units.

Most of the great lakes data for LakeMaster and Navionics is actually the same free data both companies got from NOAA surveys. One is just interpolated differently to creat contours. Navionics last I heard hasnt surveyed a lake in 5 to 6+ years. They just reinterpolate old surveys or DNR contours and call them HD to add more HD lakes. I know LakeMaster will not call a lake HD unless they have surveyed the lake themselves or have survey data from another source that would make it possible to produce 1 foot contours. If you have a Humminbird unit its impossible to beat the LakeMaster HD maps. The only maps that will get close as far as accurcay goes are Garmin maps which you have to have a Garmin unit to use. For lakes Garmin has actually surveyed they should have good accuracy because they use multibeam sonar when they survey.

4/18/17 @ 12:00 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

No harm.  Yes before I ditched my Lowrance products a couple of years ago, I  had one or two the Lake Insight chips which yes are Lowrance Chips.  I had heard that the initial data was purchased from Lakemaster a few years ago, but cannot confirm that.  Before I completely converted to Hummingbird, I ran the Lake Insight and Lakemaster in the Lowrance and Bird side by side, there were differences yes.

4/15/17 @ 2:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Tim, I bought my Elite 7 Chirp last summer when Lowrance was closing them out for half price after the touch screens came out. I kept the package and went and took a look at it.  You're right, it's not the Lakemaster chip.  The chip that came in the bundle is the Lake Insight Pro which I assume is Lowrance's chip.  I take back what I said about Lakemaster and deleted my post about it sucking for GB on the other thread.

The Lake Insight Pro chip is good for most bodies of water but isn't so good for Green Bay.

4/14/17 @ 10:10 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Bugle Trout, your Lowrance and Lakemaster chip must be old units. Lakemaster current Lakemaster chips do not work in current Lowrance units. Johnson Outdoors purchased Lakemaster a few years ago. When they did that, they programmed the chips so they would not work in Lowrance units.

4/14/17 @ 2:28 PM
4Lakes
4Lakes
User since 6/22/01

Thanks guys!

Andy

4/14/17 @ 10:48 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The Lakemaster Chip came in a bundle when I bought my Lowrance unit last summer.  It's a great chip for inland lakes so I'm not completely bashing it.  But, as stated, it is not detailed enough for Green Bay and that's where I fish the most.  It's funny that it's very detailed and accurate for the Fox River but as soon as you hit the mouth, not so much.

4/14/17 @ 9:07 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Bugle Trout is right.  Unfortunately on some bodies of water the Navionics is better than the Lakemaster, but on other bodies of water Lakemaster is better.  You really wouldn't know which one is better unless you were able to do a side by side comparison.  Both Lakemaster and Navionics have features the other one does not.  If you are fishign multilple states and do not want to purchase multilpe chips, go the Navionics route.  If you like the Lakemaster color options that are tied to the bird, go the Lakemaster option.

4/13/17 @ 1:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

If you fish Green Bay, go with the Navionics + chip.  I have that and the Lakemaster chip and while the Lakemaster chip is great for most bodies of water, it sucks for Green Bay.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.