MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Looking to buy Depth Finder/GPS - Recommendations?

7/23/14 @ 11:40 AM
ORIGNAL POST
likejmike23
User since 7/23/14
How's it going everyone? New to the forum, and happy to be apart of the community. This is my first post, and I was just looking for some recommendations regarding a depth finder/GPS.

My Dad and I are looking for a depth finder/GPS that can add specific navigation points to its memory for future use. For example, we tend to use fishing guides from time to time to learn new spots on lakes that surround our area. It can be difficult remembering every spot a fishing guide takes us too, so we are looking to find a product where we can drop pin a location while we are with a guide, so we can pull up the exact coordinates when we are on the lake by ourselves, without the guide. If anyone has any recommendations or links to products that has this feature, it would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to spend too much for it, but can be flexible.

Thanks fellas,

Jesse

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/24/14 @ 3:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
if you have a smart phone,as a temporary and very portable device, look at the Navionics APP for iPhone and Android... was $10 and as long as your phone is GPS capable and that is turned on, you get nav maps with contours on a lot of lakes, plus you can set waypoints and shade depths...

worth a look while you are deciding on a bigger unit

7/24/14 @ 10:13 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Set your budget and shop around.

Do you think you'll get a 2nd unit in the future? If yes then what type of info do you want to share between the two units? (i.e. waypoints only or both waypoints and sonar?) Does side imaging intrigue you?

Research those capabilities and see where it fits in your budget. If money is on the tighter side now and you want full sharing capabilities down the road you can find HDS 5's (or the similar sized 'bird with the same options) reasonably priced. Then when you are ready to get a 2nd unit I'd recommend getting something with a bigger screen that is network compatible with the one you are purchasing now.

If you have no interest in side imaging/networking sonar or if the budget doesn't allow those higher end units, the Lowrance Elite series is a pretty powerful yet affordable unit that does what you initially said you were looking for. With those you can share waypoints between two Elites but you can't share sonar.

The other thing to consider is if you forsee yourself getting a trolling motor (maybe you have one now) that you'd like to network with a sonar you'll need to match up the types that work with each other. Humminbird/Minn Kota and ultimately Lowrance/Motorguide.

Spend some time on the Lowrance and Humminbird sites and do some reading. Those sites are pretty good at providing the information you seek.

7/23/14 @ 12:22 PM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
I have two Lawrance HDS they are easy to use. I took these pics from them.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.