Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Locator Map Accuracy

6/18/16 @ 8:47 AM
ORIGNAL POST
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

I have 3 Lowrance Gen 1 units on my boat.  I know they are old, but they still work good.  I have noticed that the maps are not real accurate when it comes to the contours.  It always seems to be off.  The lines seem fairly accurate, but they seem to be off, one way or another, to one side of it.  On smaller lakes I fish it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  Last night I fished a lake that transitions from 5 feet of water to 60 feet of water very quickly.  I wanted to troll that 14-20 foot area, but I had hard time staying on it due to the map not being accurate.  Two the units have the built in Insight and one of them I have chips for.  They all seem a bit off.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is it normal?  Is there anything I can do about it?  Is it the gps accuracy or the map overlay?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/26/16 @ 3:54 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

You might want to contact lowrance as they have updates that need to be done from time to time.  This may or may not help you out.  I had a locator that was giving me issues a few years back . I called them and they had me download and install a update it fixed my issues.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
6/25/16 @ 7:22 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Before I had mapping I would always create a trail of "bread crumbs" or waypoints marking the edge of the reef or dropoff just like you describe. By crossing the reef at diagonals I'd punch in a waypoint at, say 13 feet ,which was the middle of the edge of the hump. I could also determine if the fish were marked on the deep or shallow side and track back thru on that side of the "dotted  line". Mapping seems incredibly accurate with my Navionics chip but I still make my waypoint trails  around specific structures. Old habits die hard I guess.

6/24/16 @ 7:53 PM
tstoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

Maybe this will help you out. I know they are not generally 100% accurate but maybe there are some tweaks so you can get closer....

Lowrance accuracy issues

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
6/23/16 @ 6:47 AM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

What I am talking about is not a water level issue.  It is actually the chart that is off.  If is off so much that the maps hows I am on land when I am fishing close to shore, but only on some shorelines on some lakes.  It must be a calibration issue or a map overlay.  It is tough when trolling because it is hard to stay on a contour line when it is off by several yards.

6/22/16 @ 1:28 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

By the way do you need any ,ap chips for oyur lowrance units?  I hjave 3 of them for sale.  One is Navionics MN-IA, another is Lowrance Lake Insight HD 2013 version, and another for the Great Lakes (Erie, Huron, Sag Bay, and Ontario).  Im me if interested any or all.

6/22/16 @ 1:22 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12
You can adjust the offset of hte water on your unit, however that will not move the contour lines.  The lines you are seeing are probalby accurate as to where the contour's actually change, its just that water levels in lakes and rivers fluctuate both up and down.

6/18/16 @ 3:24 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

I think you can look up a way to calibrate the units  I know there is a maker for this at the Olin ramp on the south end of Lake Monona here in Madison so there should be other places to do this  My late buddy that got me into Muskie fishing worked for Dane County Surveyor office gott that marker placed there  If you are elewhere maybe a call to you local Gov Suveyor's office can tell you where to find one near you to calibrate your unit.

6/18/16 @ 10:16 AM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

The base maps that come with the units are about as good as pulling the maps from the DNR website. They are just a reference and not spot on like when you by a LAKE MASTER or similar product to enhance the mapping. Water level of the lake, flowage, or river also play a role in that. I know the HB and Lowrance units have a water offset you can adjust for different water levels...., but that won't move the lines on your map.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.