SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Line Stretch

4/9/20 @ 5:45 PM
INITIAL POST
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

I have been using Trilene XL for most of my fishing for a while now.  It does the job but there is one thing I don't like about it.  When I get a snag and have to pull the line until it breaks the line gets weak.  Tie a knot, give it a jerk to test and the knot breaks.  I have to cut off about 30 feet of line until I get good strength again.  Is this a problem with all monofilament of just Trilene XL?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
4/16/20 @ 12:12 PM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

JamesD, I think you called it.  This also qualifies for "The One That Got Away" Thread.  I took bunch of line off the spool off and put on at least  100 ft. of fresh line last night.   The new line was a different color so it's easy to see where the transition is.  This morning My son and I went to the Oconto to walleye fish and on the first cast get a bump and set the hook.  The fish is heavy but starts coming in at first and then it decided to go upstream taking line as it went all the way down into the old stuff.  We saw it's tail and it was a big sturgeon.  Played tug of war for while and even switched off with my son for while.  Eventually the line broke.  I sniped off 2 feet of line, retied and tested the knot and it was good.   so at least with fresh line stretching is not an issue.

4/13/20 @ 12:55 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

It might be more than stretch involved. Mono is prone to get weaker if exposed to too much light if stored in a sunny spot. The outer part of the spool gets hit the worst. I've always liked both XL and XT with Stren brand  lines mixed in there too. Now there are so many brands to choose from. As bargain bin line goes I've had some excellent luck with mono and some other line that was more like coiled spring wire. Buyers beware.

4/10/20 @ 11:02 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I use 10# braid with a 7 foot fluorocarbon 8# leader. No stretch and good anti-abrasion.

4/10/20 @ 8:39 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’ll bet that 2$ spool of line is a real joy in cold weather lol.  CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE