SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Ice Auger

11/29/19 @ 11:09 PM
INITIAL POST
Switch
User since 1/23/02

Have degenerative discs in my lower back which inhibits my ability to use my Jiffy auger any longer.  Suggestions  what may be a good fit something lite and dependable?

Thanks

Switch

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
1/5/20 @ 4:17 PM
GrantNasty
User since 1/5/20

I'm running a Milwaukee m18 drill with a strikemaster lite flite 8inch attachment 

1/5/20 @ 3:49 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

a couple weeks ago I picked up a Strikemaster 4 1/2" synthetic lazer auger. I was hoping to use it just for filling holes for my underwater camera. But there is no ice around here to even try it out. 

12/25/19 @ 12:51 PM
Switch
User since 1/23/02

Thank you for all the responses I ended up going with the Nero Russian Ice Auger 6" and I use a Makita 1/2" drill worked great. I used to use a Jiffy 10" hog, these were the first holes I drilled in 2 years not being dependent on others. I will check into the clam plate I see how you can bust up your wrist.

12/20/19 @ 6:15 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Battery drill and 6 inch lazer.

12/4/19 @ 6:27 PM
smokercraft92
User since 3/20/02

Get yourself a auger that will use electric drill I will never go back to gas. Very light and easy to carry.

12/4/19 @ 1:57 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I second the clam plate!  Before I had that I nearly snapped my wrist off, even with the little handle that comes with most of the higher torque drills! Pair that with a 20v Dewalt DCD 991 or 996, or Milwaukee Fuel drill, lazer hand auger or Nils and you'll never go back to a gas auger again!

12/4/19 @ 1:40 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

I would suggest adding a clam plate to the set up, it will save your wrist!

12/4/19 @ 1:09 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

If your getting a Pistol Bit make sure it's a newer one with a centering blade, not a left over old one without. Plenty of torn up boots and bibs out there thanks to not having a  centering blade when they were first introduced.

Couple buddies bought 6" Lite-Flites during the sales this year but haven't had them on the ice yet. To me 6" is just to small to be your primary/only auger.

12/4/19 @ 12:15 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01

I would also look into the new Strikemaster Lite-Flite Lazer, I have been hearing some goods things about it but again it is new. Anyone try one yet? Was going to get a set-up myself this year and was going to go with the K-Drill but this is less $$ and lighter. Will also have to look into the Eskimo pistol bit.

12/4/19 @ 9:28 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

We currently use a Nils 8" and use it with a Dewalt 60v Flexvolt Hammerdrill.  It's very lightweight and cuts very fast.  With the 9amp battery I can cut holes all day.  Even the lower amp batteries last more than enough to cut a ton of holes.  Heres a video showing what a similar setup can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGE4XBc-tc

12/3/19 @ 9:50 PM
lund fury
User since 8/16/17

i have the same back trouble,i went with the kdrill ,8" with a milwaukee m18 hammer drill

12/3/19 @ 1:35 PM
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14
Another vote for the Eskimo Pistol bit.  I've got the 8 inch and when paired with my 18v Milwaukee drill I can drill holes all day! In 2 feet of ice. Very light, easy to operate and much smaller (than my Jiffy) to pack in my otter sled.  I'd never go back to gas.
12/3/19 @ 12:33 AM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

A GOOD drill and a 6in lazer...

12/2/19 @ 10:06 PM
Switch
User since 1/23/02

Thank you for the responses!

Switch

12/2/19 @ 8:28 PM
Catitude
Catitude
User since 9/4/17

Love my K-Drill but I already had the drill previously.  Third season with it an Ion will beat it for speed but try driving in a screw with an Ion.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE