SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Hummingbird keeps restarting

3/25/18 @ 8:03 PM
INITIAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

I just moved my hummingbird 999 unit to the front of the boat from the console. I put a hummingbird helix 12 mega imaging on the console. When I turn the 999 unit on, it staying on for roughly a min and I can do anything I want. Then all of a sudden it shuts down and restarts. What would cause this issue? The wire runs from the front of the boat straight to the battery in the back. I've got 12 volts and I ran a locator on this wire all last year as well? Anything I should look for or any ideas for me. 

Thank you

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
5/21/18 @ 9:09 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

god to know.  I have several Birds and I keep them updated.  However a couple years ago when I had the Onyx units, I updated them, and hte u[pdate caused all sortds of issues, and there was no going back.  Had to wait till the next udpate came out.

5/18/18 @ 3:47 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

So I haven't updated the birds yet...but will soon.

I had an issue with one of them powering themselves off during the day, for no reason.  And it would turn itself off when I started the big engine.

Went to Interstate in Brookfield off of 12th street.  Worked with Erik.  He got me a great deal on a new Interstate starting battery.  Dropped it in, hooked it up, my issue is now gone.  Birds stay on as they should.

4/21/18 @ 8:49 AM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Yes, you can update them yourself via the website but if your like me and don't have an actual computer at home I can't. But any dealer should update them for you free of charge.

Was out on the missippippi river yesterday for about 5 hours. Boat worked perfectly including locators.

4/18/18 @ 3:02 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
K, so this begs the question...how do you update the locators?  I have a couple of birds and they haven't been updated since I took them to a dealer about 2 years ago.  Is there a simple way to do this?  I'd rather not take them to the dealer again....  Thanks!
4/14/18 @ 8:04 AM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Took the locator to the Skeeter boat center in Chippewa yesterday, they did an update on the 999 for me. (It was quite behind on updates). Bought it home and hooked it up, and it worked perfectly. Double checked it this morning and left them on for 30 mins and worked perfectly today again. So I believe I have solved my problem. Thank you for all the input and now if someone is having the same issue they will know what to do.

4/12/18 @ 7:43 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

MH,

Not to get your hopes up, but it sounds like maybe you have it isolated. 

With everything connected, does the 999 work fine if the Helix is off?

4/12/18 @ 6:27 PM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Finally got around to replacing the cord today. Plugged just the power cord into the 999 and let it sit. Never restarted in 20 mins. So finally plug it all in, put the boat back together and turn it on. 2 mins later it's restarting again. So after lots of cuss words, I started thinking, I haven't updated this 999 since I got it. So what I'm thinking is that since it hasn't been updated, that it can't sync up with the newer helix and it's not allowing it to operate through the ethernet cord. So I need to get the latest update done and that will be the next stop in this process tomorrow.

Otherwise I'm sending it in and hell maybe I'll throw it away I'm so frustrated

4/8/18 @ 7:24 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

what was the outcome, bad power cord?

4/8/18 @ 12:52 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

If it's the same power cord, you might want to plug the 999 cord into the helix and see if it causes problems, just for peace of mind.

Also could probably test it with a multi-meter.

4/8/18 @ 10:06 AM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Called the scheels manager in the area and asked him if he had any ideas. He told me in might be power cord to the unit. He said to plug it into my helix power and see if it does the same thing. 

I've had it plugged in for an hour now and it has yet to restart. So looks like I'm on my way to scheels to get a power cord to replace the one I got. 

I'll keep you updated

4/8/18 @ 12:28 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

The unit needs to be sent in for service. Same thing happened to me.  If there was a low voltage issue, it would shut off when you started the engine and it wouldn’t turn itself back on. 

4/7/18 @ 9:20 PM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Sorry guys it took so long to get back to this. But finally was able to work on the boat again.

Took batteries to farm and fleet and got them all tested, they all passed and held a good charge.

Had both locators running off same battery, so I switch to run each one of different batteries. Same problem. 

Have the voltage reading on the 999 on the screen, it is between 12.2-12.4 when it decides to restart. 

Not sure what to do from here. I was check the guage of wire next when I pull it apart tomorrow again.

I'm really hoping it's not the locator itself but I've never had a problem before

3/26/18 @ 8:51 AM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Put the battery voltage readout on the screen of the 999 (if it isn't already) and watch it.  Is it the same, or very close, to what you measure at the back?  Or compared to the other sonar, if they are on the same battery?

Don't need to be on the water to do this.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE