LOGIN
Lake-Link

Humminbird 383c powers itself off.

6/4/16 @ 2:42 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

My new boat came with a Humminbird 383c depth finder with GPS. I've been out a couple times without any problems. Then tonight I am out with my daughter and the unit just shut off after about 20 minutes on the water. It powers back on and I press the Exit button to go to the next page.  Then it shuts off again. This cycle keeps repeating itself until I finally give up and just shut it off. I tried removing the unit from the base thinking it might reset itself. No luck. At this point I am ticked off.  Anyone else with humminbird have this problem? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/3/16 @ 11:25 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

Just call the factory direct !!! They have the experts that will tell you what to look for . However anytime that I have every installed one all my power comes directly from the battery. Tell them how real unhappy you are and have a very important fishing trip and I beleive action will happen..

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
7/1/16 @ 11:38 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

Unit worked good until the last day of vacation. Then the depth just kept changing 2 ft. to 27 ft and I was in about 6 foot of water. It was all over the place. I think I'll be looking for a new lowrance. 

6/14/16 @ 6:47 PM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05

I had to run power directly to the battery on both my dad's boat and mine otherwise I would have similar issues. My dad has a 597 and I have an 858. I haven't had any issues since on either units since I did that. It's worth a shot. Even if you would end up getting a new unit you could re-use the wire. 

6/14/16 @ 1:20 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05
Seems to be working now. I took apart the connections on the mounting bracket. First the Exit button started working and then when I tried to change views it would shut off again. It would power up just fine without the transducer cable connected. So I started looking at the transducer cable for any damage. Found one little spot where it could have been pinched. Not through the cable insulation but it was dented. Then I reset the unit back to default settings and it seems to work now. Put it all back together and played with it a while and it did not shut off. I hope it works while I am on vacation in two weeks.

6/11/16 @ 6:57 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

Unit can't be fixed. Dealer didn't sound like he was going to credit me anything for it. Now I'm looking for another unit right before my vacation. 

6/7/16 @ 7:38 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

First I checked my battery... 12.63V

Then I checked under the console where the fuse resides...also 12.63V

Then I checked the terminals on the base of the depth finder where the head unit slides in to the cradle... 12.5V

Then I turned on the other depth finder at the console and it only dropped to 12.4V at the terminals on the base. 

Based on this,  I think my connections are good. 

I could not find my dielectric grease to apply to the terminal contacts. They don't seem to be bent or damaged in any way. 

I also cleaned off the tiny bit of corrosion on the ring terminals at the battery. 

I still have the same problem. Ughhhh! 

So, now I am at a loss what to do. 

6/6/16 @ 9:14 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I did register teh unit at Humminbird. I also sent them an email detailing my issue. I have not heard back from them yet. But it could take a couple of days

6/6/16 @ 8:13 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

sounds like you've done what you can... might be time to contact Humminbird... if you registered your unit, I think you have access to service thru that, or just look in the back of your manual, I believe they have an 800 number and email for contacting them

good luck, stuff like that will drive you nuts..! hope they can help you out

6/5/16 @ 7:34 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I saw that while doing my own research. The wires from the unit were soldered to the existing wires at the bow of the boat. It actually worked a few times out on the water before this happened. 

6/4/16 @ 6:29 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

looked up that kind of problem at one of the HB sites, found this:

"Many of the problems that we get are due to poor power reaching the units. Just because the voltage checks good at the power cable does not mean that the unit is getting the correct power (voltage + current) to operate correctly. Running a set of wires all the way back to the battery (through an in-line fuse of course) ensures that there are no loose or corroded connections between the unit and the battery. A lot of times the problem is a loose or corroded fuse/fuse holder. I recommend the blade type fuses and fuse holder as these work better on boats than do the glass tube type fuses do.

As a test you could just direct connect the power cable to the battery and see if it will run for more than the 30 minutes that it has been running before. If it still shuts off than you need to get the battery load tested (and replaced if bad) or send the unit in to Humminbird be checked."

Here's links to very helpful sites for HB owners..highly recommend

bb.sideimageforums.com/

forums.sideimagingsoft.com/

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.