MORE
Fishing Equipment

How to pick a net for fishing.

6/26/18 @ 10:15 AM
INITIAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

We mainly catch bass and panfish while fishing and have a shallow rubber net for that. But on occasion we will catch larger fish like Northern Pike, Walleye and Musky. Earlier this year my son caught a Musky and I had to scoop the tail end and lift it out of the water with the fishing line. Yes, my net was too small. So after looking at nets online I can't tell what size to get. The Musky nets are very expensive. How do you size and pick out a good net?  

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/5/18 @ 7:52 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

I get most of my landing nets out of the dumpster  at campgrounds,  add new netting and cut off an old mop handle some duct tape and you got a brand new  long handle net. Nobody in my boat yells get the Frabill !!!!!

6/28/18 @ 9:35 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I found a nice and practically new Frabill at a rummage sale a few years ago for $10.  That's how I picked my net.

6/28/18 @ 3:24 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

Anyone have a Ranger net? Been looking at them on Fish USA. 

6/27/18 @ 11:00 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I have the same problem jbird. I have a smaller rubber net that's good for bass and I've gotten a couple walleye around 28" in it. But bigger pike or musky no way, and the water I fish has both. I run a bass boat and honestly just the rubber net is already a pain as I can't stow it anywhere, but its helped me land some pig bass so it's worth it. All my compartments are full and all I keep on the deck are rods. I decided against a bigger net or even a stow away net as it's just more of a hassle for me. I keep a kevlar fishing glove that's helped me land some 30"+ pike ok and hopefully bigger if it comes to it. Those fish never saw the inside of the boat, grabbed unhooked and released boatside. For me landing 1 big fish isn't worth the hassle of an extra or bigger net. If I lose a fish of a lifetime of a species I never fish for at the boat so be it. Lost a 40"+ musky last summer and I'm fine with it. I fish alone so I'm not getting any pics anyway. Your situation may differ however.
6/27/18 @ 8:36 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

When I was ~12 years old my dad lost the biggest fish of my life while trying to net it up on LVD. To this day he still tells the story about how the pike was rainbowing a good foot out of either side of the net because it was a shallow rubber net. It clearly haunts him a little more than me, all I remember is him waist deep over the side of the boat trying to grab it as it swam away.

Anyways, he purchased a cheap but deep poly net after that. Still used the rubber one 9 times outta 10 because it's more convenient with less tangles. Deep poly net ~$30-50, deep rubber/musky net ~$100-150. You can't put a price on the fish of a lifetime.

6/27/18 @ 7:52 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

small fish - you need a small net.

big fish - you need a bigger net.

Sometimes you need a longer handle, but maybe a shorter handle will work.

Or, buy a nice gaff.

6/27/18 @ 3:28 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08
I have an old musky cradle that fits in my rod locker. I keep it in there just in case. The only downside is it doesnt work with 1 guy.
6/26/18 @ 1:42 PM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

I have a Stowmaster musky net that I bring along when I am fishing lakes that have musky even if I won't be fishing for them.  The Stowmaster folds up nicely for storage, I don't have the largest size, mine is the next size down, and seams to be good enough for musky.  Unfortunately your going to spend a lot for a musky net.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE