Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gear ratio on Musky reels

2/20/21 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Sswpriz
USER SINCE 5/8/02

I'm going to be getting a new musky reel shortly and was wondering what everyone does on theirs for the gear ratio. I think the one I am looking at has the 5.8:1 ratio, other options are  7.6:1 ratio. some people have told me that is too fast for bucktails, spinner baits and the occasional top water.

Opinions ??

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/1/21 @ 6:51 AM
Sswpriz
USER SINCE 5/8/02

Pulled the rigger on a TRX401A, left hand retrieve, 5:8-1 ratio.

These things are hard to find, even online, everyone was out of stock on them.

This reel should do nicely for the amount of musky fishing I do, but i think I'll be doing more this year.

Thanks for all of the help guys. 

2/23/21 @ 4:54 PM
surface
USER SINCE 2/24/13

Have 2 Tranx 400A's with the 5.8 -1 gear ratio ( 30 ipt ).  I bought a optional

power handle for 1 of them. Very happy with what they can do. A true multi-

purpose reel. I also bought a Tranx 200 7.2 - 1 paired with a Falcon Super Duty

7' 5" for early season 'ski fishing. Can't put that thing down, once in hand.

2/23/21 @ 9:53 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER SINCE 3/14/08

I have a beast also like it a lot, with the faster gear ratio I thought more for jerk baits and topwaters.But it has become my most used reel.Also spool diameter makes a difference in power.

2/22/21 @ 6:48 AM
Ulbian
USER SINCE 9/24/03

7.6:1 is way too fast for bucktails. Blade baits put a lot of pressure on the gears of a reel. Using that fast of a reel with a bucktails would be like pulling your boat by starting out in 4th gear. It would work for crankbaits because you aren’t using the reel to pull the bait. Your reel picks up line with crankbaits whereas with a bucktail the reel is doing the work and all the pressure is transferred to the gears.

5.3:1 is sort of the industry standard for your baseline reels. Even with that gearing in a reel the bigger bladed baits can be a chore and you’ll feel like you are pulling a dead elephant through the water. 

2/21/21 @ 6:44 AM
Timmothy A
USER SINCE 5/17/09

I look specifically at inches retrieved per revolution, the gear ratios can be deceiving. We've caught fish on 23 all the way up to 40.  It depends on a lot of factors but really depends on lure selection.  If you are doing a snap/pause walk the dog style then you want to pick up a lot of line per turn to keep the line tight and not wear yourself out.  Top water you typically go on the slower end.  Burning bucktails you want to pick up lots of line.  I know I've seen Bucher do a video on this topic and on the Musky 360 app there is a whole episode devoted to this topic.  I'd check those out before buying anything.  

2/20/21 @ 4:03 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

You can always slow down your retrieve, but can you wind a 2 oz. Double Blade all day or burn a bait more than a few times... 

Either way you better be in shape casting all day/days!

(Reel + rod + lures = Days)

2/20/21 @ 12:35 PM
mattw
mattw
USER SINCE 5/6/16

Well just to way in , I have a 7 to 1 I use specifically for crank baits , I found casting bucks or spinners when retrieving the 7 to 1 is too fast for me and my baits dont react as well , you really have to pay attention to how fast you are reeling , I have slower bait casters and they work better for spinners or bucktails, that's just my experience.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.