SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Garmin EchoMap or HummingBird Helix?

2/26/19 @ 10:33 AM
INITIAL POST
DeadHead13
User since 12/18/18

If this is a dead horse we don't have to beat it any longer but I was looking at getting a GPS unit to map where I am ice fishing. I was thinking about either the Garmin or the Hummingbird... I think the Garmin EchoMap has preloaded maps and the Hummingbird can use Lakemaster or Navionics SD cards... as far as the side imaging and whatnot.. I don't need that as long as it has an ice flasher that would be all that matters

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
2/2/20 @ 11:57 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Tuggs3, what is it that your not happy with?

2/2/20 @ 8:09 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

Yes they make an ice fishing conversion kit for the helix. You can find it on Amazon. 

2/2/20 @ 1:29 PM
quacktalk
quacktalk
User since 12/13/12

Do they sell a kit to convert my helix 5 into an ice locator?

1/31/20 @ 9:31 AM
tuggs3
User since 12/12/08

I have a garmin echomap plus and am not impressed. Will be returning it to get a lowrance. 

1/31/20 @ 9:13 AM
Buydontselle
User since 6/10/17

I own a Garmin Striker CV+ (No side imagining...) but can get it on the 7" I believe. From my personal experience I like the ability to build your own maps much more then having Pre-loaded maps into the unit. I have the Navionics App on my phone and utilize DNR bathymetric maps for general areas. I seem to fish lakes and areas that don't already have maps built for them. Cheaper unit that does all the same stuff and I bought the ice-ducer for it use it open water and one the ice! One of the my favorite units I have used. Use Humminbird at work for open water applications and I think its kinda smmhh. 

1/31/20 @ 8:47 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

The hd version just has a few extra options such as exclusive lakes, contour depth shading, satellite views, dynamics lake levels, etc.

1/30/20 @ 2:46 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Can anyone enlighten me on the lakevu and lakevu hd chip?  I mistakenly bought the echomap with bluechart and would like to get the lakevu chip.  Any thoughts?

6/26/19 @ 7:27 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

You can network them, but only to share waypoints. Still require seperate tranducers, if I remember correctly. Simple 4 wire transmit and receive directly between units.

6/26/19 @ 10:13 AM
Icefshr05
Icefshr05
User since 12/27/04

Garmin was installed, and I was able to use it this past weekend. GPS was just fine without the extra purchase of Lake Maps. I will need to try it on more contour lakes, as I was on Winneconne and Wolf River/Butte de Mort's (very little contour changes). Is there a network "box" I can purchase to put a unit on the front deck and just network off the console unit??

6/9/19 @ 10:31 PM
Icefshr05
Icefshr05
User since 12/27/04

I will look into getting LakeVu to load on the unit. Good to know that I don't have to send it back and look for a totally different unit. I kinda figured I would end up having to buy lake maps. This is my first purchase of any kind of Locator. I really just wanted GPS, and contours. Hate using my phone for Navionics app. Thanks for your info

6/9/19 @ 10:03 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

Same unit, just what comes preloaded on it. You can buy LakeVu or LakeVu+ HD for an extra cost and load it yourself. I did a lot of research on the Garmins, thinking I was going to upgrade last year. Then there was a legal issue with transducers that HB had a patron on... I guess that's all been worked out, but I still haven't pulled the trigger. My networked Lowrance units are still working, but older. 

6/9/19 @ 8:21 PM
Icefshr05
Icefshr05
User since 12/27/04

Lakeview series? Is that Map chip or a whole different unit with LakeVu preloaded on it. Starting to think I should have went to a box store instead of Amazon

6/9/19 @ 2:25 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

Ice, you need lakeview unit. Bluechart is exactly what you got, coastal and great lakes. Lakeview series is inland lakes and a few miles offshore of the great lakes.

6/9/19 @ 12:56 PM
Icefshr05
Icefshr05
User since 12/27/04

Purchased Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 54cv off Amazon. Anyone have one? I thought it came preloaded with lake maps. Box says BlueChart g2 included (charts for Coastal US and Great Lakes). Doesn't say anything about inland waters.  Will I need to buy lake maps chip to get contours? I know I can create maps, but was hoping it had the basics preloaded.

Probably not the perfect thread to put this in...didn't want to start a new thread.

2/26/19 @ 11:55 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

The Humminbird Helix 7 G2N package would be everything you needed for ice fishing and on the boat. Usually around $700 I believe.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE