SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Felt bottom wading boots

8/11/20 @ 10:36 AM
INITIAL POST
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

I was on a stream last week that was basically like walking on softball or basketball sized marbles and my spikes/cleats came out very easily.  

I know that felt is generally a no-no for carrying invasive species from stream to stream but I considered getting a cheaper pair of wading boots with felt and would only use them for this specific stream. 

Worth it?  Would it make that much of a difference? 

It's a great stream but wading it is straight rugged and dangerous.   

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
8/15/20 @ 8:05 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I have felt.  They work great.  Tried to be eco friendly and got some spike waders.  Fell 3 times.  Never again.  I pretty much only use them in the Wisconsin River.  I have a separate pair for steelhead in spring....

8/14/20 @ 11:16 AM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

Thanks for the input.  

Wading IS needed if the banks are personal property which is the case in many situations.  

I've had Korkers but found they weren't great over time. 

I'll continue the search into next summer and get some cheapies that don't get much use.  

8/14/20 @ 10:39 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Sounds like the rocky conditions where I slipped and really jammed my knee two years ago. I was gifted these slip on carbide spikey things for ice fishing, but I'm sure they could slip over my wader boots too. Wasn't it Whirling Disease killing trout in Colorado that put the brakes on felt soles a while back?

8/14/20 @ 5:23 AM
Credance
User since 5/6/20

Trout fished for years and only enter stream when crossing or snagged wading isn't needed very often Makes life easier

8/12/20 @ 7:18 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Yes,

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE