MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Did people lose their minds buying such expensive rods and reels?

9/29/21 @ 3:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

I bought a fishing pole at the St. Croix factory 16 years ago for a hundred bucks.   I just turned it in for a new pole.   The new one was around $130.   It should last another 16 years.

I can afford to spend more, but I see no reason why I should.

Yes, St. Croix rods are that good.  I have no idea what the other high end rods are like.

The easiest way to double your money is to fold it in half and stick it back in your pocket.

A penny saved is a penny earned.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 76 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/8/21 @ 7:57 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER SINCE 9/23/01

Last time I checked Al Lindner's hand he had a St. Croix Premier in it.

Just saying.

10/8/21 @ 6:51 AM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

Mac da gaff that ugly stik story sounds more like someone didn't know how to fish rather than better gear turned them into an honorary Lindner.

10/7/21 @ 5:48 PM
beelzebob
USER SINCE 9/24/01

When I was 12 yrs old ('75), I walked down to the Pine River in Florence Cty to fish browns on the last weekend it was open.  I used a metal ferrule Shakespeare light wt. rod and an old second hand Mitchell 308.  I had the cheapest line Coast to Coast sold, and was using a #1 Rooster tail.  Within 20 min I was headed back to camp with a 2 browns - one was 4lb 10oz, the other 3lb 8oz.  I now have the best trout rod St Croix sells and a very expensive Shimano.  I have never even come close to having a day like that day in '75 with my outfit that I didn't have $20 in, including the line.  So yes, I have lost my mind.

10/7/21 @ 7:53 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER SINCE 9/23/01

After running a guide service for around 10 years I can confirm that yes, a higher end rod and reel can make a difference.

Plueger Reels:

Tough, smooth, infinite anti-reverse, affordable... for every 1-2 ozs. of weight reduction you can up the price about 40 bucks, the higher end reels also have smoother bearings. Not more bearings just better. I have Plueger Trions that I paid $40 for 20 years ago and they still work very well.

Rods are a whole different story. I have watched clients, with their favorite Ugly Stick, that have had a hit because I was watching their line jump to the side about 3 inches, and they never felt the hit. When hand them a St. Croix Premier, a fish sucks in the bait and WHAM they look at me in amazement like they just had a lightening bolt shoot up their arm.

Reduced weight, improved sensitivity, and smooth function all add to the enjoyment or success of the day on the water.

My present rig is a 7 ft. (Fish 13) Omen rod Med. Light, with a Daiwa Fuego LT 2500.

Spend what your budget and level of expertise warrants, enjoy the sport more and catch more and bigger fish... and never lend your favorite rig to anyone.

My 2 cents, Mac

10/6/21 @ 7:39 PM
Derelict2
USER SINCE 8/12/05

There is a common theme in a lot of these responses and I am going to follow suit:

If you get your hands on a good St.Croix, you tend to not go back. Now, I stick to the Premier and Avid lines. Essentially I am willing to spend $150 to $250, but I have yet to justify the cost of a tournament or elite or whatever the super high price series are.

Bottom line Premier and Avid series St.Croix's cast and handle so nice (and are such a marked improvement from lower cost rods) that I have never needed to seek anything better for my needs.

With that said - I do still have a soft spot for some great value rods out there. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar an Ugly Stick can't be beat. Another rod that will always be in my stable is a Berkley Lightning rod. I have had them in so many different lengths and weights over the years and they always perform well. I also like Berkley glow sticks...I use them with big obnoxious spinning reals for both trolling and live bait fishing. They make a great medium to heavy weight alternative to a multi hundred dollar muskie setup.

10/6/21 @ 5:30 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

I bouht my 1st Fenwick in 1981. It was 60 bucks and at that moment I knew it was far superior when fishing smallmouth in the rivers. I later went with several St. Croix. In 1987, I payed $100 for a Legend and worth it.  I dont buy expensive open face reels cause I cant find one made in USA!.  I am looking for some good bait casters that are NOT made in China. Any ideas ? Abu Garcias 6500 are made in Sweeden and that doesnt bother me.

10/6/21 @ 2:59 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Mr Bass,  there is a lot of truth to what you are saying.  Look at the top St Croix rods,  same SCV1 graphite on the top 3 legends.  If you buy an elite you are looking at 4 stacks.  you can bump up to the X for another $50 but all you are getting is a split handle and different color, the Xtreme is $250 more for the handle and a better set of guides.   I can't afford a legend Extreme or I would have one,  that handle is killer.

So one can look at that and figure what is important to them,  but you are getting the same blank essentially.  The actions on the X and elite are identical, I can vouch for that.  I personally never fished with an Extreme.  I wouldn't want to fish with it,  i'd be too afraid to break it even though it has a 15 year full warranty.  St Croix changed their warranty BTW.  it's 15 year on the Legends.  5 on the Mexico made rods.  Any broken St Croix is still worth something though,  they have a pro rated warranty after the 5 and 15 year fulls.

Mr Bass,  Diawa makes some nice rods and I think you may like them more.

10/6/21 @ 12:39 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER SINCE 6/12/10

This is my opinion.  I feel as though the difference in quality, sensitivity, weight, and feel between an entry level $40 rod and a $120-$150 is considerable.  The difference between a $150 rod and a $500 rod is very minimal.  The other difference between the $40 rod and the higher end rods is the warranty.  If you're spending $40 your warranty is minimal, with $150 you usually get a 5-7 year warranty.  If you're spending $200 or more it's usually a lifetime warranty.  I love my St Croix Premiers and have a hard time considering anything else, but something at a similar price point.

10/6/21 @ 12:23 PM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

I troll and vertical fish. There is no third option. I'm not casting nothing. I detest casting, if I want to work I will go to work and get paid. I pull spinners 80% of the time so spendy gear is kind of a waste. A $30 6' medium Lightning rod will do about as good as anything. Now for vertical fishing, I use ice gear and long rods. Most of my ice rods are Thorne Bros. I know everything that is going on with a good ice rod where a long rod won't tell you that a perch is down there licking the bait. It's weird when a 12" perch barely moves the tiny tip on an ice rod but then sometimes they bend a rod way back when pulling spinners, dingdingdingding when a perch bites. 

10/6/21 @ 11:50 AM
Timmothy A
USER SINCE 5/17/09

Just like anything in life, you buy what you can afford/what you want, right?  I'd love to have bought a  2021 Mustang GT last April, but all I could swing was a 2016 Mustang Premium.  Both are very capable, one a bit more than the other under certain circumstances, but it comes down to what you want to spend your money on.  I don't question anyone for anything they buy, it's their life, enjoy it.  

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 76 POSTS
Advertise here
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.