MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Did people lose their minds buying such expensive rods and reels?

9/29/21 @ 3:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

I bought a fishing pole at the St. Croix factory 16 years ago for a hundred bucks.   I just turned it in for a new pole.   The new one was around $130.   It should last another 16 years.

I can afford to spend more, but I see no reason why I should.

Yes, St. Croix rods are that good.  I have no idea what the other high end rods are like.

The easiest way to double your money is to fold it in half and stick it back in your pocket.

A penny saved is a penny earned.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 76 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/18/21 @ 7:55 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
USER SINCE 4/21/04

Fell in love with Fenwick rods after getting my 1st $75  Eagle GT. Moved up to the $100 HMG with the Limited Life Time Warranty and never looked back. Bought a $100 St. Croix before the Fenwick and didn't think it was any better than by Berkley Lightning rod for $30.

Fenwick rods are super light & sensitive! Customer service is top notch! Just my 2 cents!

10/13/21 @ 8:51 PM
denesox
denesox
USER SINCE 2/1/06

For fishing treble hooked lures, topwaters, live baiting and powerfishing techniques there isnt really an advantage to an expensive rod aside from weight reduction....spending big money on rods for such techniques can indeed be a waste of money.

But for anything requiring sensitivity, like fishing plastics for bass, you absolutely, positively do want a high end rod.    Lower quality rods just result in the angler missing fish bites all day without even knowing the bites occurred.    Frustration will become your fishing partner most days.   When sensitivity matters, you dont want a cheapo rod in your hands.   Fishing such techniques with a high end rod is not only more productive, but its vastly more enjoyable....being able to tell rock from wood, sand from mud....these are the types of things that tell you where you need to be without even getting a bite.   The information you can gain is as valuable to your day as the fish you catch  Use a great rod for such techniques and fishing will become even more addicting.   If I was going out to fish a shakey head or drop shot and all I had was a $50 rod, I would just stay home.

I do agree though that the law of diminishing returns does apply and those 4-600 dollar rods, while most are indeed quite spectacular, they are also unnecessary and only slightly {very slightly if you know your rods) more sensitive.....when you can feel every pebble with a crazy light  $200 rod, what exactly is the point of that extra money spent?   Its like buying a $100,000 car that goes 199mph and instead  opting for a $500,000 car cause it does 202.

I gotta say, I am still shocked at all the blind St. Croix love....I could give you a dozen rods that are under $200 that would absolutely embarrass a $200 St. Croix.....their higher end rods are actually really sensitive, but compared even to a good $200 rod, they are tanks...shop smart, don't blindly buy a St. croix because of the name recognition....lol..there are a lot of manufacturers now making incredibly light and sensitive rods for 150-200 bucks...IMO that $170-200 range is the "sweet spot" for an elite quality rod.

10/13/21 @ 8:13 PM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

Anyone know anything about Commander rods? I read about them when reading about Pete Harsh.

10/13/21 @ 4:39 PM
wjb123
USER SINCE 8/7/03

This thread convinced me that I don't spend enough on quality rods for some fishing applications.  

It's the first year I've done a lot of jigging and drop shotting and I think I've missed fish because the ugly stick really isn't meant for that.  Not planning to spend 600 bucks, but I can see getting a St Croix for under $200.

10/9/21 @ 11:54 AM
wiscoarborist
USER SINCE 11/6/18

There are many presentations that NEED a quality rod. Maybe not a $500 stick,but $150-$200...and paired with a nice smooth reliable reel.

Snapjigging rivers for walleye is a great example. A cheaper rod will catch fish but to use the lightest jig possible  - and know exactly where it is within the water column - a  quality rod makes a huge difference.

Say I use a 3/16th jig,my friend uses a 1/4. he can feel his jig touch bottom sometimes. I can almost always. My jig "hovers" in the strike zone longer. I catch more fish...But my friend - who's convinced that a cheaper rod makes no difference - thinks that where-ever I'm casting to has a school of active hungry fish.

10/8/21 @ 7:53 PM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

You can't take it with you but you can take it right up to the edge

10/8/21 @ 7:09 PM
CMunyon
USER SINCE 5/12/16

I have lost my mind and i would'nt have it any other way.

I have a few Croix open water rods and a few custom ice rods i had made.I love them all and like the way they fish.

I say if you can afford them than enjoy them while you can,ya can't take it with you.

10/8/21 @ 4:33 PM
tackle-12
USER SINCE 2/18/21

Instead of a high-end setup I'd rather have 5 or 6 'budget' combos ready to roll, each for a specific purpose (one for drop shotting, another for trolling, another for casting, etc).  I think that makes you much more versatile & efficient.  I'm not gonna try as many different presentations if I have to re-tie every time. 

10/8/21 @ 8:14 AM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

Lindner uses whatever company pays him the most to use their product.

I have St Croix, I Love St Croix. 

10/8/21 @ 7:57 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER SINCE 9/23/01

Last time I checked Al Lindner's hand he had a St. Croix Premier in it.

Just saying.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 76 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.