MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Did people lose their minds buying such expensive rods and reels?

9/29/21 @ 3:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
chopper
USER SINCE 7/2/01

I saw the start of it down South, about 7 years ago, when a guy came to a fishing pier with a 600 dollar Van Staal reel.  I thought he was joking.  Now it seems like Joe Average fisherman will plunk down a couple of hundred for a rod and the same for a reel.  Am I the last guy in America who thinks a 40 dollar rod is pretty good?  And are there anything but tiny differences once you get above 40 bucks?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 80 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 3:12 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER SINCE 5/6/16
Funny you say that. I bought 2 more 6'9" ML sixgill cypress rods for the wife and paired them with the carbon x 2000. Haven't lined them up yet but they seem like decent quality. With the bogo on rods and the sale on the reels they were about $110 per set up. Hopefully the x 2000 perform as well as the revo x.

TODAY @ 2:58 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Revo X has a shocking resemblance to the Piscifun Carbon X 

10/19/21 @ 4:33 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER SINCE 5/6/16

Anybody have reviews on any sixgill stuff? I got a 6'9" ML that I used a couple times but only caught maybe 2 smaller bass. So far seems like it has nice sensitivity. Paired it with a revo x. They always have bogo deals. They have bogo deal on reels right now and iffy on getting a couple.

10/19/21 @ 4:27 PM
chopper
USER SINCE 7/2/01

I just ordered a Phenix 1 spinning rod. Here goes my butt down the slippery slope.

10/19/21 @ 6:53 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Just cause a rod says Bass series or Walleye Series doesn't mean a thing.  You'll find most Bass Series just have split handles....if you'd take the name off you wouldn't know the difference.  

One of my favorite, take anywhere, beat it up rod is the LTBS 68MLXF which is the St croix legend tourney.  I don't even fish bass but it's a hellva walleye rod for just about any jigging, pitching whatever.  the LTBS is bass series....I use it for everything,  just a great rod.  

I have a Seth Feider Tatula Elite 7.5 foot,  that's a fun rod for light line,  light lures. I use that for smallies and walleye's.  Name means nothing, if you know what you like and what actions for certain applications,  series name means very little.  I can vouch for the Diawa rods,  very nice components.  I have not fished with Megabass,  13 fishing ( I think the 13 fishing stuff is waaay over priced for what it is) or Shimano stuff,  but i've handled shimano rods and they are light weight.  Seem well priced for what they are.

It all depends really on how much you fish.  If you fish 5 times a year,  I wouldn't expect anyone to buy anything over $100.  That said,  if you fish quite a bit but not go nuts,  it really is worth getting into something in that $80 to $200 range, lot's of nice rods out there.

10/18/21 @ 5:25 PM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

Why would St Croix change their products, they evidently have a strong following.

I will buy a couple rods on your list. If I don't like them, I can blame some rando on the internet. I don't fish bass or plastics, don't put that evil on me. I occasionally jig for walleyes, if I have no choice and there is no other option and if I can't get out of it. 

10/18/21 @ 1:30 PM
denesox
denesox
USER SINCE 2/1/06

Chopper, I will give you a handful;

1. Phenix M1.....ultra light and as sensitive as anything...a ridiculous rod for the price.  IMO its the current bang for the buck rod on the market, or at least one of them.

2.  Powell max....super light, sensitive and a joy to fish.  I don't know how these rods get over looked by so many.

2a.  Powell endurance, a $150 budget rod that is lighter than anything St. croix has to offer and sensitivity is on point.

3. Megabass levante....light (although not quite as light as the others here) with amazing sensitivity....if you area jig or texas rig fisherman, do yourself a favor and pick up the brailist.....incredible...flat out incredible for the $.

4. Shimano zodias...just a great rod.

5. Daiwa tatula elite.....again, just a quality rod.

All these rods are built right, using all the most modern up to date building methods to decrease weight and increase sensitivity considerably.  None use vibration deadening cork that covers the blank or reel seat and all use the highest quality components (like carbon fiber reel seats and exposed blank butt ends).    

Then look at the $200 avid series...cork literally covers EVERYTHING, sapping the sensitivity the quality blank offers.  These avids are built like its still 1986, when the blank was all that mattered, ignoring all the benefits realized in the past 10 years.

10/18/21 @ 9:19 AM
chopper
USER SINCE 7/2/01

So Denesox what are some rods you recommend in the 170-200 rnge?

10/18/21 @ 8:55 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
USER SINCE 4/21/04

Fell in love with Fenwick rods after getting my 1st $75  Eagle GT. Moved up to the $100 HMG with the Limited Life Time Warranty and never looked back. Bought a $100 St. Croix before the Fenwick and didn't think it was any better than by Berkley Lightning rod for $30.

Fenwick rods are super light & sensitive! Customer service is top notch! Just my 2 cents!

10/16/21 @ 8:46 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Denesox - I totally agree with you on your St Croix 200 or less comment.  100%.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 80 POSTS
Advertise here
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.