SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Deep Cycle battery chargers

5/28/20 @ 2:52 PM
INITIAL POST
bobs1961
User since 9/22/01

Hi all, just looking for a simple deep cycle battery charger that will indicate current charge level and will charge and shut off when battery is fully charged. Any help would be appreciated !  Tight lines !

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
6/18/20 @ 9:49 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

For a Marine deep cycle battery it is best to use a on-board Charger. Minnkota makes very good chargers. Normally a person would use a 1 to 3 bank charger based on the number of batteries in your boat. They come in 6-10-15 amp power. They will control the rate of recharge by temperature, thus never overheating your battery. They have three lights on them that will give you the state of the charge.

You should plug them in as soon as you get home, regardless of the state of charge of the battery. When a battery discharges the electrolytes stick to the plates in a battery. If you don’t charge it right away to release the electrolytes back into the solution, the battery will become sulfated and shorten the lifespan of the battery. Some will still stick, but you want to minimize that number.

A good digital charger can be left on all the time to maintain a full charge.

6/17/20 @ 10:32 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

if you're looking at a portable device that you plug in at home, the Noco Genius 1 , around $30 or Genius 2, around $50, is probably a good choice... the 1 will take longer at 1 amp, the 2 will charge at 2 amps, which is a sort of guideline ( 2amp max ) for deep charging a deep cycle battery

both go into maintenance mode once fully charged ... I have the Noco Genius 1 hooked up 24/7 to a vehicle that doesn't get driven a lot, so this keeps the battery at full charge

I suggest doing your own investigation on the 2amp comment about deep cycle charging... it is something I read about awhile ago, has to do with the thicker plates and how a low and slow charge works vs a quick charge

Noco Genius 1 example

...they also make an onboard charger

6/16/20 @ 9:39 PM
Silvia180sxboy
User since 4/14/08

I had a Schmacher ship n' shore charger that worked pretty well, but it only lasted a year. I bought another one but a newer model, to replace it. That one sometimes overcharged the batteries and didn't last a year either. It was the blue and black one. I then bought a stanley, and it has been working great for the last 4 years. Just put the clamps on the battery posts and press charge, simple as that.

6/15/20 @ 9:26 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Are you looking for something like an on board charger that you leave in your boat, or are you looking for something portable?  Portable, go to any auto parts store, or Batteries Plus, they both have inexpensive switch selectable chargers that can can charge many different types of batteries including Deep Cycle.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE