SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Braided or Mono for trolling Walleyes

2/12/20 @ 4:58 PM
INITIAL POST
Wiscokid 49
User since 12/12/18

I am getting ready for spring and need to get my line counters re-spooled.Which one and why? 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
3/16/20 @ 1:53 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I prefer PP for a couple of reasons (most already mentioned).  No stretch, no memory and no need to replace each year.  

I would also add that because it cuts the water better than mono, the angle of the line is more vertical to the lure and feel like it gives the lure a better action.  It also seems to help with less snags (in my opinion).  Plus, 25% less line out at similar mono depths, means 25% less chance of tangles!   

I would say that you have to know your equipment better though!  I always adjust my drags just tight enough to keep line from constantly coming out (when pulling boards, flat lines, bottom bouncers...) to help keep fish from pulling the hooks out.  Seems to work for me.

2/17/20 @ 9:58 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I am with Jerry below, I do prefer trolling with mono.  If you do much trolling, the precision trolling app is based on 10 lb XT.  Yes there is a conversion for Fireline, I think it runs about 25% deeper.  I too used to use 12 lb big game because it is same diameter of 10 lb XT.  I have since switched to 16 lb Sunline Super Natural.  It too is the same diameter as 10 lb XT.  

2/17/20 @ 11:16 AM
Wiscokid 49
User since 12/12/18

Thanks for the input everybody.

2/17/20 @ 10:24 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

I always braid for trolling. Line stretch from mono will keep you from feeling hits or weeds, and, thinner braid will allow your lures to run deeper.  

2/15/20 @ 7:58 AM
Jerry Ruffolo
PRO MEMBER User since 6/18/01

I use and will always use mono.  Currently, I'm spooling all my reels with 12lb Trilene Big Game.  It's the same diameter as 10lb XT, which is the line used for Precision Trolling app.  I prefer the stretch from mono.  I have clients who fish a lot and some who rarely fish, so having my drag set to give along with that stretch is what I prefer.  I use braid for casting and jigging, with a 2-3' fluorocarbon leader.

2/14/20 @ 5:00 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Trilene XT 10 or 12 lb. Used it for years without a problem and good results. The only time a braid type line has a use is when you have out several hundred feet of line, then the no stretch factor is an advantage. It would be rare, if ever, you would have that much line out trolling for walleye. 

2/14/20 @ 10:25 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

10# XT

Why...because it works great!

2/14/20 @ 10:05 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

12# Berkeley Big Game mono has the same diameter as other 10# mono lines so the dive curve tables match and you gain a little strength.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE