SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Best Spincast Reels

9/23/18 @ 2:15 PM
INITIAL POST
fishinghunts
User since 9/23/18

I remember learning to fish, up in Canada, with my dad and grandfather. We went on yearly fishing trips each fall and they were the highlight of my memories.

The truck and boat was packed with tackle, snacks, food, and spincasting reels. Seriously, everyone in the family used spincast reels.

Why?

Because they’re simple to use, easy to learn, and a breeze to maintain. I remember my cousins always using open face spinning reels.

They seemed foreign and complicated to me. After all, I only needed to push the button on my reel at the right time to get a great cast. Then reel it in.

Easy as pie.

Spincasting reels are one of the newest developments in the history of fishing reels. While they may not look as glamorous as the more exotic aesthetics of open face spinning reels or baitcasting reels they’re certainly effective and efficient.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/12/19 @ 7:02 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

You might take a look at the spincast reels from Abu-Garcia.  They have what's called a "synchro drag", which is a basic star drag that can be loosened in an emergency simply by turning the reel handle backward against the anti-reverse.  Abu has been making these since the late 50s or early 60s, but being Abu, and considering the thought that went into the design of such a drag, I bet the drag is good quality.  I've never used one of these reels, though. 

4/6/19 @ 10:57 AM
Roscoe5
User since 12/8/02

Thanks Northernexposure that helps a bunch. I'm updating from the 33 my own self. LOL

4/1/19 @ 3:04 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Just noticed the original post was the same day this guy created his lake link account.

And oddly enough if you go to https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-spincast-reel/ the guys story is word for word what the original posters story was.

The BS on this site always leaves a sour taste in my mouth which is why I rarely post anything.

4/1/19 @ 12:31 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

As a kid, 30 years ago, my favorite reel was a Zebco 33.  In Canada larger fish are much more common and the drag on a Zebco 33 just didn't cut it anymore.  And I had trouble with braided line, it would rub inside the reel and not cast good.  I haven't gone back to a spincast reel in well over 20 years.  This year is my 10 year old sons first trip to Canada and I think a spincast would be better for him.  So I would also be interested in hearing of a good spincast reel that has a good drag system and can cast good with some of todays braided or other super lines.  When a +40" northern wants to make a run you need a good drag system and I have not ever seen that in a spincast, but I haven't looked in 20 years either and I would have to assume they have gotten better.

4/1/19 @ 8:32 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I set up a nice spin cast rig for my dad a few years ago. I got a Pflueger Pres for the reel and a nice Fenwick rod. But we still refer to it as his "Snoopy Pole". Just can't help it.

3/31/19 @ 11:44 AM
Roscoe5
User since 12/8/02

I see there is a Pflueger photo. I am in the market for just that . The best spincast reel for the money . Does anyone own a Pfluger and what do you think of  it ? Pros and cons ?  Thanks in advance

9/24/18 @ 6:58 AM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

When I was a young kid, several years before the good knowledge about how to find fish had become common the way it is today, and way before anyone had depth sounders (let alone all the other electronic aids that so many people use today), or even trolling motors or specialized fishing boats at all, a friend of my dad's was one of those fishermen who's success was way beyond that of anyone we knew.  He probably did as well on bass and walleye as most reasonably good fishermen do today, though he worked a lot harder for that success.  What kind of reels did he use?  Almost nothing but spincast!! (he also had one or two baitcast reels of the old style with no free spool and no anti-reverse, and I think he used those for musky, as well as for topwater fishing in lily pads for bass).

Now that I think of it, he had at least half-a-dozen rods, at a time when no one else we knew had more than two and most people only had one.  Times change.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE