INITIAL POST
Hank Rozhon
User since 3/18/19

I picked these up this week how old do you think they are 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
2/14/22 @ 10:35 AM
moon-glo
User since 11/6/09

I'm gonna say that the first two picture are from the '60s.  The rest in the second picture are '70's and up/.

12/9/20 @ 8:43 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

I did some googling.......a patent was applied for on “Beaver Dam Arctic Fisherman tip ups“ in 1951. the article did not say if they ever got one. It went on to say that the company put out a “50th anniversary” tip up in 2011. That means from 1951-1961 they were being manufactured on a small scale and sold locally only in sport shops or bait stores like Bills tackle box in Beaver Dam and etc. I visited their shop on Burnett Street in Beaver Dam in early 2000 to have one of my 1961 models repaired. At that time the guy told me they only had 2 employees working there......just some trivia....

over and out....??‍??

12/8/20 @ 9:12 PM
Nasty Ned
User since 1/6/05

I was pleasantly surprised the folks at acme tackle that now own BD followed up with me by reaching out to the old ownership.  Cool that they took the time to do that.. below is what they thought..

“Probably a 1950’s version that had the old typewriter spools at one time but may have been replaced and repacked over the years. Probably had a metal tag on them at one time but were taken off when some sort of light was installed.”

as for how far I set them apart.. I’m an eagle eye for flags so 50 yards ain’t no thing

12/8/20 @ 12:53 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

I'm thinking the very early ones were filled with some sort of light oil (mineral/linseed -- ??) that's why they turned so easily. Louie at the long since gone Easterling use to do a lot of those refills. If he's still around he could probably shed some light on that.

12/8/20 @ 9:59 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Nasty Ned how far do you generally set your tipups from where you're standing?  I have one of those American Flag tipups that I bought during one of their anniversary years and they are really hard to see on the ice when they go up.  No problem, obviously when you have them pretty close to you.  But if you're one that sets their flags about 50 yards apart it'll be hard to see.  Have fun this winter!

12/7/20 @ 11:10 PM
Nasty Ned
User since 1/6/05

Thanks for the feedback.. I definitely questioned the bolt thing but they are all the same and I am thinking it’s unlikely they were repaired that consistently. 

Emailed acme to ask them but no feedback yet.. they are obviously not the original manuf so perhaps they don’t know

One thing I do know is when I started peeling the old line off I was impressed with how they spun.. better than most of my current ones from the last 10-15 years..so they got new American flags and are going into service! I’m excited to see them pop this year

12/6/20 @ 10:30 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

Ned  I’m betting that you have some real close to being the originals. I’m thinking that’s how they originally put the flags on them. My dad reluctantly bought me 2 “Beaver Dam Arctic Fisherman’s“ in 61 and the flags were installed as they are now. Yours were made well before 61....the Beaver Dams are now being made in Fort Atkinson WI by Acme Tackle.....for Decades they were mad 3/4 of a mile from my house.....bummer when they moved them out of their birthplace....

12/6/20 @ 8:36 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Those bolts were put on to hold some kind of a light that would go on when the flag was tripped, usually made from a plastic cigarette case.    I know because I did it.  Lol.     I bought mine in the 50s and still use them   CARPIO 

12/5/20 @ 11:45 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

My dad bought our first Beaver Dams in the early 70s (1972) and I dont recall  those bolts being there.  Where those bolts are would be where the company medallion or insignia was placed, thats my recall anyway.  

Those could be homeade tipups with beaver dam parts? Or repaired/modified Beaver Dams.

12/5/20 @ 11:12 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

NN

I would almost say repaired  , but all of them ??

12/5/20 @ 3:32 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

Late 60's definitely 70's vintage 

12/5/20 @ 11:37 AM
Nasty Ned
User since 1/6/05

Can someone help identify these old tipups.. they have to be beaver dams based on the flag, all hardware, and board design.. it’s just the bolt deal on the flag mount that’s throwing me off

12/21/19 @ 9:28 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

55-60  CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE