SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Aerators

12/28/22 @ 11:11 PM
INITIAL POST
Farcast2
PRO MEMBER User since 8/28/09

Looking for a recommendation on aerator that is both 110V and battery operated. I keep burning through D cell batteries and would prefer a unit I can plug in over night and then switch over to battery power when out on the ice. Thanks in advance for any input.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
1/15/23 @ 3:31 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I've been using the same plug in aquarium pump in the cold room in my basement for many many years. On the ice I choose between the quiet bubbles unit or the baby bubbles , both work on alkaline cells of different sizes. Some day I will find a lithium unit I can afford.(edit:just saw one for 50 dollars). For now, minnows are expensive enough to want to have some kind of aerator to keep the investment alive. My buddy from church got a nice Engles cooler and it's pretty nice. For now I carry extra batteries in my pocket like the previous poster.

12/29/22 @ 10:59 AM
papiman
User since 8/22/22

I purchased the engel cooler aerator  has a lithium battery works well no replacing batterys

12/29/22 @ 10:20 AM
fishchef
User since 11/17/09

May want to look into this one--think it came out this year:

https://engelcoolers.com/products/rechargeable-air-pump

12/29/22 @ 8:34 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I’ve been using a Frabill aerator for about 6 years now. It came with a 12VDC charger and a 110V AC adapter. I believe the newer ones only come with the 12V adapter though. I’ve never had any issues with it both summer or winter. They are a little noisier than the Engel ones though 

12/29/22 @ 5:12 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Had the same issue bought a frabill bait station minnow bucket 6 gallon bucket with aerator built into the lid takes 2 D batteries or the wall plug adapter which is sold separately. I got this 5 years ago from reeds for under $50 now there well over $100 but still works great.

12/29/22 @ 1:59 AM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02

Clam is equipped with the ability to charge and run while plugged in.  Has a usb charger like for cell phones.  I have had good service out of them except when it's below zero, the performance is reduced.  I try to keep them from getting too hot in the summer too because it can weaken the internal battery.  The tubing is amazing, stays good soft in the cold.

12/28/22 @ 11:45 PM
Nitz
User since 12/27/02

I do not know if such a beast exists, but it might.  I believe I have seen AC-powered air pumps that have battery backup, but not sure whether these would be suitable to take into the field.

Food for thought - I run rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (usually end up buying the EBL brand off Amazon) in just about everything around the house (I stick w/ alkaline in my smoke and CO alarms).  The rechargeable Ni-MH D batteries do just fine out on the ice in my old and trusty Marine Metal Products Bubble Box aerators.  Note - I bring an extra set and keep them warm in my pocket in case the cold kills the first set.  I charge the batteries up after each outing.  Ni-MH batteries also do not corrode/explode like alkalines eventually will, so not a big deal if you forget and leave them in all summer.

And as you are likely aware, there are now several lithium rechargeable aerators on the market which might serve you well.  Best of luck.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE