Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2 pc rods and combos

5/13/14 @ 11:36 AM
ORIGINAL POST
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
My fishing has changed over the years and now I am looking at buying a few 2 pc rods or combos depending on the deal. I usually fish with one piece rods but now that I don't have a boat. It is very hard to transport that equipment on family outings. I would also like to keep a rod in my trunk on the chance I go some where I could fish from shore just for some fun. Are there any good rods I should look at? On the other hand is there any brands I should steer clear of due to quality concerns? I will be checking Fleet Farm and Gander for options. I have until early June when my family is heading up to Minocqua for 5 days on our first family vacation. These would be panfish / walleye capable rods. If any one can help I would appreciate it, thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/20/14 @ 3:57 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
"They make ones up to 5 meters that run over 1500 pounds! "

Wow, those are mighty heavy rods. 'Course, them Euros are a different breed. As Steve Martin has observed, in France, for example, it's as if they speak an entirely different language! Wink

Seriously, though, I've absolutely zero experience with the European rods you're referring to, ditto, I was referring to the $19.99 specials that are, not surprisingly, junk.

And FWIW, while I've read about other European passions, like their love of carp fishing, I can't say that I have developed any burning desire to try it.

5/20/14 @ 3:19 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I wouldn't say all the multi piece telescoping rods are cheap. Pretty much all of them in the USA are but in Europe they are quite popular and quite expensive. They make ones up to 5 meters that run over 1500 pounds!

5/20/14 @ 3:06 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Your right coach, we are almost certainly talking about different telescopic rod types. The ones that fully collapse into the handle are junk...100% of the time.

That said, you really cannot make a comparison with a fly rod, they are built/designed for totally different aspects. The fly rods, unlike, say a bass rod, are not designed to be sensitive, they are designed to manage the fly line, and the fish. A $100-150 bass rod is waaaaaaaay more sensitive than even a 1K fly rod. The rods are fished quite differently. Likewise, no matter how sensitive the bass rod is, it would be useless with a fly reel attached.

Salmon rods are a much better comparison...and I do agree that high end 2 piece rods can be awesome...I have a Lami I wouldn't sell for anything. That said, even that spectacular rod would be useless for something like fishing soft plastics for light biting bass. I use mine for bass applications regularly, but not ever for sensitivity fishing, like plastics or jigs.

While many people would not notice the difference between a 1 and 2 piece avid for instance, those that really fish a lot and have a lot of experience will notice it immediately. 10%ers I am talking about...as in 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.....the more skilled you are, the more stark the difference is to that individual. For the average guy, little difference, for others...well, its night and day. I've taken the "pepsi challenge" on this one many times...I can always tell the 2 piece.

5/20/14 @ 8:17 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
Seems to me that some of us may be talking about two different kinds of telescopic rods.

As a practical matter, there's a limit to ho long a one-piece can be. The longest I have is 7'6"; much beyond that, and transport becomes something of an issue, even for those who have 8' + rod lockers.

There are generally two solutions to the long-rod dilemma; two-piece rods, or telescoping-handle rods. Again, speaking for myself, I have a 9' two-piece rod, and a 7'6" telescoping handle rod, both of which are very good quality rods.

To ditto's point, the days of metal-to-metal ferrules are well behind us (thankfully!), and today's graphite-based rods, and their graphite ferrules, minimize the impact of having a joint somewhere in the rod's blank. It's indeed possible to produce a very fine multi-piece fishing rod; in fact, I have a 7' Loomis three-piece travel rod (MSRP: $370) that's one of my faves, and as any fly-fisherman knows, there are any number of very high quality ((and expensive!) multi-piece fly rods on the market; nobody gets concerned about the fact that those rods have ferrules.

Telescoping handle rods are fairly commonly seen in the trolling rod market. The rods typically telescope into/out of the rod handle, so the user can save a foot or so of length for stowage.

The gnarly cheapo telescoping rods I'd referred to in an earlier post aren't worth bothering with, IMO, the only thing they seem to offer is compact size when collapsed, but when extended, they have no power or sensitivity whatsoever.

5/17/14 @ 12:51 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Nowadays the ferul technology is so good that you will not notice one bit of difference between a one piece and a two piece rod of the same brand and quality. If you get a St. Croix Premier 6'6" medium it really doesn't matter if it's one piece or two piece, if you were blind folded 99.99% of the people couldn't tell the difference. I prefer one piece rods but I don't have a problem using two piece rods at all.

5/16/14 @ 1:34 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Most flippin' sticks are telescopic, and they can be outstanding rods. There are a TON of sweet, telescopic rods out there that are as sensitive as anything on the market and many cost a lot more than a $30 pos rod...majority of nice ones run 100-250 bucks or more, like most quality rods....but most are technique specific rods, such as flippin' sticks. I also have a great crankin' rod that's also telescopic.

These rods are specifically designed so that they collapse to fit in standard rod lockers, which most flippin' sticks don't at 7'6"-8'.

You all are right that the standard, basic cheapo telescopic rods are indeed junk...as are most 2 piece....but there are some made quite well. I also have a few 2-piece salmon rods that are excellent (and quite expensive), but again these are technique/species specific rods, not your general run of the mill cheapo.

Bottom line with rods...you get what you pay for. If your budget is $60, you will be hard pressed to find anything of real quality.

5/16/14 @ 11:47 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
your right Coach, my telescoping rod is a 30 dollar trolling rod. I dont think they make high end ones, so it kind of fell into my other comments. I am sure if you could find a 300 dollar telescoping one it would be good though

5/14/14 @ 11:40 PM
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
I found a Gander IM6 2 pc 6'6" medium rod today on sale and it is ok for the price I paid. Now I'll get a nicer reel with the money I saved on the rod. I know its not going to be an Elk River Custom in my hand. Yet having a fishing rod on vacation with me is an important thing so I can deal with it not being so sensitive. Plus now I'll have a rod in the car all the time so if a chance arises I can fish somewhere new. I checked on the St Croix triumphs they are made in Mexico so for that kind of cash I would buy two store brand rods.

5/14/14 @ 9:53 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
With all due respect to BM12, I've yet to see a telescoping rod that's with a darn. More often than not, they're priced between $20 & $30, so it's little wonder that they don't perform well.

OTOH, to BM12's point, you should be able to find a reasonably good house-branded travel rod in your price range, just gotta check 'em out and have reasonable expectations.

5/14/14 @ 12:08 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
more specifically answer your question... I think if you get any "store brand" rod such as a Gander/Cabelas/Bass Pro you can find something you like at a low price. There are far more good rods out there than bad ones as long as you have reasonable expectations that your two piece 50 dollar rod will not fish same as your 200 dollar one piece

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.