LOGIN
Lake-Link

force fetch questions.

4/8/14 @ 8:36 AM
ORIGINAL POST
breal
breal
User since 10/12/10
I have read two books and watched Evan Grams force fetched vol. 1. I have a 8 month old lab and he is "holding" well. We are sitting, walking and "dropping" on command. So now its time to move on to force fetch. I'm just looking for any last pointers before we get started, or "DON'T DOs". So any information or experiences you have had. I would like to hear it, thank you.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 29 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/1/14 @ 10:28 AM
Jeff Lemmenes
MEMBER since 5/21/10
Orange are good for blind retrieves. Hard for a dog to see in the green grass or at waters edge.

Lumpy's Kennels
(920) 948-2982
5/1/14 @ 8:24 AM
breal
breal
User since 10/12/10
It's awesome how intense you guys can be. Its just unfortunate you put it towards bustin each others [email protected]$. Rather than teaching or learning something. I'll try another ques? Whats the Orange bumpers exactly for?

4/29/14 @ 10:22 AM
4 reel
4 reel
User since 12/9/10
Yea and with a statement like that, makes me wonder how the elite akc members picked up the @-hole stereotype? And the "team" thing sounds more like a good excuse for when the handler expects and WANTS the dog to perform a task it hasn't experienced/or performed enough.

4/27/14 @ 8:28 PM
Mickey 44
User since 11/23/11
Justdrift'n, AKC Field Trials are just a game for the elite dogs "Competition" and people with money. Sounds like your jealous, and can't train a dog to FT high standards...lol. BTW my FT/HT dogs hunt ;)

4/27/14 @ 11:09 AM
Mickey 44
User since 11/23/11
1fowl 1, no matter what game you play it's a TEAM event (dog/handler). You can be an exceptional handler and still have a bad day at an event or vise versa.....TEAM.

4/27/14 @ 10:52 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Mick, I agree.....except for, its not the dog. Its the handler usually, thats exceptional or not, or should pass or not. Lol. This will be my first time ever to try and title a dog. And its not that I actually care about the title. I just wanna get out, train, the exposure, help, etc. And the whole procedure to train for a test is as a near real hunting scenario you can get, other than the real thing. So I figured it's been such a pleasure to train with other members, having all the help to set up, able to use equipment, and welcome to train anytime all summer long. If im going to achieve to that level, why not test her? Just to say we did it. You know tho...I have told other Hrc members "only need a good hunting dog, no need for a derby dog, titles dont mean much to me" the reply was "yea, thats what we said when we started"?

4/27/14 @ 10:09 AM
red rover
MEMBER since 8/19/12
Mickey 44 has hit the nail on the head, now let's quit all the bickering and go back to everybody training their dogs to the best of their and their dogs ability. As Mickey 44 said, if you want bragging" rights, try entering a few AKC field trials..it can get humbling right quick

4/27/14 @ 9:40 AM
Mickey 44
User since 11/23/11
People put to much emphasis on " Hunt Test" titles i.e. HRC/ AKC. It's JUST a standard for a hunting dog to gauge what a hunting dog should do anyway. If you want to really test a retriever try AKC Field Trials, that separates the boys from the men. I've seen hunt test dogs get titles and shouldn't. Or you Get a dog that does mediocre and a dog that is exceptional pass the standard and get the same title, theirs no seperation

4/26/14 @ 8:55 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Checked out her mouth and teeth, she is ready. Made the transition from the roller to the blk and white bump yesterday. Continuing with collar and ear pressure but giving her more and more freebies. Shooting for Tuesday to start fetch no fetch. Hoping to meet up with a couple fellow retriever owners today. Setting up the wingers over some water. It would be a nice little 6month old b-day present, letting her splash around. Not sure if im ready to go in yet, kinda chilly out there this morn. Muck, I would find that to be very humorous! For someone to talk so much smack about a retriever and how a pointer is the ONLY way to hunt. And now your saying he's a member of a Hunting Retriever Club. Lol!! And what was that statement he posted?..."HRC upland test- joke city"

4/25/14 @ 10:58 AM
muckdog19
User since 7/24/09
Although I don't agree with the way he goes about things all of the time I'm pretty sure I know who Justdriftin' is. If it's the same person he does indeed have dogs and they are VERY good dogs that hold HRC titles... I have personally hunted over those dogs as well and they were a pleasure to hunt over. I will say this in general. Most folks have not seen enough dogs to know what a truly "good" dog can do in the field. Some have, most haven't... and many are wowed by what their four legged friend can do but are extremely biased. That being said a versatile dog is just that...versatile...they are not the best at any craft...they are good at a handful of things.. but our friend does own dogs...and they are pretty darn good ones at that.. lol Good day.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 29 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.