Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Keeping a Rock Headed Lab in the yard.

12/19/14 @ 8:23 PM
ORIGNAL POST
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
I am hoping maybe somebody would have a few suggestions to help with a few problems we are having with an almost 3 yr old neutered male lab we kind of inherited. It was my son's dog that he got as a puppy when he was working out in North Dakota. When he got the dog he was working so much that the dog did not get a whole lot of training its first 1 1/2 yrs of his life. Well now my son got a job back here and is out of town working most of the time so guess who ends up with the dog?? The dog pretty much listens to basic commands most of the time but has a habit to walk right through the invisible fence every once in a while to visit the neighbors. We shaved his neck where the collar sits but it has very little effect on him, just a little quiver and through the line he goes. I try to walk him on a leash out to the line to train him and he will lay right down 50' feet from the line so he knows where the line is. But every once in a while when nobody is watching him a way he goes!! We have another training collar that will just about knock him over but he will not cross the line with that one on when somebody is watching him.I just don't what him to get in this habit and get in trouble. He is the biggest baby, just loves people and attention and has calmed down a lot but at times he does get wound pretty tight and his ears quit working!! Its not really his fault he didn't get enough training when he was a puppy but we are trying. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/1/15 @ 9:19 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
I agree, teach him the boundary and reinforce with positives over and over and over! Can't stress positive and repetitive enough. Another thought coming from my wife, toss the kid and keep the dog!!

12/28/14 @ 9:12 AM
drslyr4
User since 3/9/04
You just need to instill were the boundary is. the fence does work but only to a point. when training a dog to only go a certain way you take them to the point where you want them to stop. say sit and stay. you walk over the line. if they move say NO in a loud and stern voice, then you pick him up by the collar and drag him back over to were you want him to stay. repeat again. you have to work on this every day a few times a day. this instills a behavior. I would leave the fence collar off when doing this. older dogs just take a little more time. I never hit them with a stick only pick them up by the scruff and the butt to show them who is the pack leader.

good luck,

Drslyr

12/24/14 @ 10:25 PM
dufferfish
User since 1/28/07
Maybe a 16 Inch stick on the butt? It worked for my lab.

12/23/14 @ 4:39 PM
wiemer
User since 6/22/01
obedience training works to a certain point. My first lab would run after anyone on the road..bark his head off at even me driving in...he would jump all over us... run for miles away from the house....I read every book, used every e-collar, did all the training and he was just so high strung I never could break him in 10 years of life. My new lab is 3 and is the English block head lab and never barks, never leaves the yard, and does not jump on people. I truly believe it is the dog and not the owner in some instances. I worked way less with my new dog and he is a complete 180 of my first lab. used to drive me nuts when people would say he needed to be trained more. I had no kids with my first lab for the first 4 years and trained him 24/7 with only minimal results. I police lined my yard off one summer and walked the boundaries with her all summer. Never ever learned the boundaries

12/22/14 @ 7:30 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12
I'd suggest doing some obedience work... Wondering

Underground fences are just a bandaid for piss poor obedience

12/22/14 @ 3:01 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
On our fence we could adjust the strength of the shock and the strength of the signal given off by the fence. Our dog figured out she could get through the fence fast enough that she didn't get a shock. Turning up the fence solved that. Might want to look into either one of those.

12/19/14 @ 9:34 PM
mike7mm08
User since 9/19/02
Stick with the remote e collar and use it consistently. Labs are smart despite seeming to be as dumb as a box of rocks. He learned the fence and the inconsistency of the remote collar. He will quickly learn that if he crosses the line he never knows when and how hard he is going to get it if you make a point of always hitting him. Had a lab that chased rabbits. Live in the city so could not have him running. He just went mental over bunnies no breaking him him off as long he could see them. Couple hits of the e collar when he left the yard after a rabbit cured him. He would chase them to the edge of the yard and stop and sit down and just watch them run away.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.