Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gordon Setter

4/4/18 @ 7:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Looking for reviews on this breed. Primarily for grouse and pheasant, pointing ideally. Temperament, train-ability, breeders...whatever could be recommended. Also negative reviews welcome.

Love the look of the dogs, and would prefer something different from the norm. Not really interested in english setters, brittanys, griffons, german shorthairs etc etc....I know there is at least one user "Gordonsetter" perhaps they will find this thread.

All reviews, insights welcome. Thank you!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/29/19 @ 8:26 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Got my 3rd Gordo.....great temperament, very obedient, loves to hunt and point...... even tweety birds.?? Has the best coat of all of them. But my God does she shed. Just had her spayed 3 weeks ago....

the other two shed a little.  but they were males. Anyone else with Gordon’s have a “shedder”.  This dog is unreal! Tough to brush her too she fights it. 

3/1/19 @ 7:27 PM
GordonSetter13
User since 3/1/19

Breeders/proper training defentiley matter! Idk how anybody could hate this breed. Anybody trashing this breed has only seen less than a few...I don’t even hunt with mine and he’s birdy as hell. It’s pretty easy to find quality breeders with Facebook and review sites. Just understand you’re getting a high energy dog that can run More than you’d think. I only know this because I work on a golf course and he’ll just trot behind me wherever I go. Great breed. 

5/24/18 @ 7:24 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Out of all the gordon's I have come across, not one have I seen signs of aggression.  That is not one of their traits.  Even the ones who are part of the breeding program that are dominate males.  I have seen humping, peeing on trees after another male did it, but not once aggression, especially towards people.  I have been hunting over gordon's for the last 21 years. 

5/21/18 @ 1:52 AM
adrianastepheny
User since 5/3/18

The Gordon setter may be a good-sized, sturdily designed, black and tan dog, well muscled, with lots of bone and substance, but active, honorable and classy, showing capable of doing a full day’s add the sector. He contains a robust, rather short back, with well-sprung ribs and a brief tail. the top is fairly significant and finely well-defined. I think you can get more idea here

4/25/18 @ 8:58 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

GSM...I looked them up but I see the website is not active. I'll check back in a bit later.

4/25/18 @ 6:54 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Thats the thing,it is the breeder of any breed that makes the differance.That said I have read that Gordon's tend to be a one man dog.

4/24/18 @ 9:32 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Ayefeesh, contact Heather Kelly at Eastshore Gordon Setters as she's a quality breeder and knows the breed well. Google her kennels or she's on gun dog breeder website. You won't find the Gordon on any list of "dangerous dogs". Hell I have relatives and friends who have P-Bulls that claim their the greatest thing......HA! I will never trust one of them! Like I said in a previous post I am now raising #3 at 17 weeks.....like any pup she's a handful. However if I could live long enough to raise #4 I probably would...then again I'm not a hunter of birds anymore. There's just not a lot of pheasants in this state in the wild.....

4/22/18 @ 11:55 AM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10

Gordon yes that is very true.  That dog was the alpha and the owner was it's omega bi**ch. HaHa.

He also had a beagle that he let get so fat it's stomach would just about touch the ground when it was standing.  He's a really good guy.But he doesn't understand that you aren't always doing a dog a favor by letting it do whatever it wants.

I was hesitant to even post about that Gordon Setter.  I hate to give a breed a bad rap based on one dog.  But all training deficiencies aside that dog had no interest in birds.

4/22/18 @ 9:05 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Can't, 

sounds to me like the dog was doing the training.....not the owner...

4/21/18 @ 8:32 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Thanks a lot for the input. I'm sure like anything there are good and bad dogs/breeders. But your the second person to mention an experience with a tempermental one.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.