User since 10/12/10
Who has the best luck with what brand?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/9/14 @ 9:16 AM
dandigger
dandigger
User since 4/30/08
I highly suggest using the Adams tick spray when going out into the field, inbetween your normal monthly schedule of whatever brand you use. last week I headed out into the woods (Shawano Co) to cut up some wood and clear some trails and check on bow stands. Knowing the ticks would be out I sprayed the dog down real well with the Adams spray. We were in the woods for about 3 hours (even had him in the pond for a bit to cool down, did not reapply spray) and when we got home I found 7 ticks on me and not a single one on him.

5/13/14 @ 9:03 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
Good tips mixed in below. Over the years 2 of our dogs got a tick passed illness. The one had lingering minor effects from Lyme disease. I've stepped it up since then.

5/8/14 @ 8:12 AM
muckdog19
User since 7/24/09
Permethrin is toxic to cats but is regularly used as a flea and tick repellant for dogs...

5/6/14 @ 8:37 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
We got a free puppy dose of vectra from the vet...I read the ingredients and was a bit surprised to see 36% permethrin. Compared to the 0.5% in my clothing treatment which says to keep away from pets....

5/6/14 @ 8:32 AM
muckdog19
User since 7/24/09
Steve I have used permethrin as well. I use the diluted spray around the kennels etc... On the dogs I use the equine Bio Spot. A 3 pack costs 11.89 at Fleet Farm... I can treat 5 dogs with one of the equine containers and since that's in a three pack that equals 15 treatments at a fraction of the cost of others and I've never really had tick problems with my dogs. I don't mind the citronella smell :-) ... You have a lot more dogs than I do with me having only 3 but finding ways to treat your dogs more cost effectively both with heartworm and flea and tick treatment is a big deal!

5/5/14 @ 10:10 PM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
Folk, as some of you may recall. I declared war on these monsters a few years ago. After loosing one of my dogs to them. Several dogs of partners around the same time getting sick, or meeting the same fate.

Many also know that I have a lot of dogs to deal with. Also being in the field almost daily the better part of tick season. So we do things a bit differently. At least it will give you some ideas of other options.

A lot of new stuff out there now. When I still used products labeled for dogs. Like the ones posted so far. I had good success with Bio-Spot. Since we pretty much have to do it twice a month regardless of product. Sometimes more even depending on weather, and such. This also had a better price breakdown.

I tossed all that stuff away. Most of them all contain permethrin. The better ones will have as much as 45% So I buy it by the quart normally at pestmall. com.

This gives me a multiude of uses. One the dogs like all topicals down the back. Most of mine 40-60lbs. So they 3ccs down the back. For those with sensitive skin I draw up 1 cc of mineral oil with it. Shake good and apply. Now as a topical spray for both my clothes, and touch up to dogs as needed. Bad fly days, etc. I mix 1 ounces per gallon then into sprayers. This is just on clothes. Still not supposed to get on skin. Then in a garden sprayer. I put 2 ounces per gallon. I use this in hard to reach spot for the next thing. Then in spots around the basement. I even spray the carpet in my boat. You would be surprised how much this helps.

Now here is some good redneck ingenuity. I then put 10-12 ounces in a 5 gallon bucket. Fire up my pressure washer Drop in the soap line. Then dust my entire 4 acres. Can do the whole thing in about an hour. The spray will get 30-40ft in the trees. Keeps all the bugs down to a low roar all summer.

Citronella seems to work to some degree. Could add it to anything above as well. I barely can stand the candles and torches anymore. At one time used the bio spot for horses. It has citronella in it as well. For 2-3 days after putting it on. Had to keep the slider in truck closed at all time. Even then the smell would about gag you out.

There are of goofy things out there with big claims. New stuff all the time. Some of it may work, some of it may not. 1 thing you better be real clear on. You are playing roulette with your dogs life. Many vets have said the almost all dogs in WI can test positive for lymes. Most will only ever be carriers of it. Some will get the disease. Makes one even more confused. Anaplasmosis scares me even more than lymes!!

Along the same lines is this. Dont forget the heart wormer!!! Needs to be monthly as well!! Options for that as well for another thread perhaps.

5/5/14 @ 8:08 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01
I have used topicals in the past all seemed to work well in keeping the ticks at bay but I didn't like the oil rubbing off my dogs on furniture and bedding. I have been doing a tick bath for the dogs the last couple years but this year the ticks are full blown outbreak. I was looking at some of the organic sprays has anyone had any luck with them?

5/5/14 @ 5:03 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
K9 Advantix here, ticks are thick right now.

5/4/14 @ 6:33 AM
bbasil
bbasil
User since 10/24/12
Frontline does a decent job but I like K9 Advantix better. I spend a lot of time in Rhinelander where the ticks are thick and I find less on the dogs with Advantix.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23033

5/2/14 @ 1:04 PM
laxeagle
laxeagle
User since 10/1/06
If you're comparing prices, check out chewy.com. They usually have the cheapest prices from what I've seen and we get our orders in 2 days. My girlfriend just bought flea/tick treatment and it was half the price on chewy. I can also personally compliment their customer service. We bought a bag of dog food, switched from turkey to venison because they were out of turkey at that time, and the dog which has bad food allergies had a breakout from it. Called customer service to see about returning it and they said to donate the food to a shelter and they would send a new one at no extra charge. We also have our account set up through them to have the dog food delivered on a set day each month.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.