MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Trimming English Setter Pre-season?

9/10/21 @ 11:19 AM
INITIAL POST
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

So I’m taking my new-ish setter into the grouse woods this season. Tried last year but she was way too young and wild. I got tired of chasing her so she spent most of the time in the truck. 

Any of you setter guys trim the dogs coat at the beginning of the season to minimize burrs and tangles?  If so, do you use clippers?  She hates getting groomed.  My other dogs were short haired so I never had to think about it. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/9/21 @ 1:52 PM
JIM528
User since 10/9/21

nice dog have 2my self cut ears and tail 

9/15/21 @ 7:35 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I had an American Water Spaniel with the marcel coat, so it constantly grew out and feathered.  I trimmed him once at home with the help of a friend.  ONCE.  He needed to be groomed multiple times a year, and one was always scheduled about now to get him ready for the season.

Good luck in the grouse woods.  I hope the numbers are up!

9/14/21 @ 8:29 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Get a quality pair of clippers, I think mine our Andis, have a long cord, stay cool, theyre a professional set of clippers, I think they were around $130 bucks but worth it.   I groom mine on the tail gate of the truck its a good height for me.   I trim down all the feathering on legs and butt and trim the feathering on the tail the first few inches at the base.  I also try to trim up under from legs (arm pits).  And get a good comb that the teeth are not too close together they work better for the inevitable brushing at the end of the days hunt.  

9/13/21 @ 2:34 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Get a Mars Coat King (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L8WHIC/ref=twister_B09FTN7NT6?_encoding=UTF8&th=1) in the 30 blade. Makes de-burring easy enough that I don't bother to trim my Setter.

9/13/21 @ 1:41 PM
grecothrown
grecothrown
User since 9/21/11

Having a setter myself for the past 5 seasons a few "lessons" when dealing with the feathering. 

1. A product you can buy at Fleet Farm or any place selling horse supplies is called ShowSheen - it will become your dogs best friend. Spray it on liberally, when you think you have enough on put some more on. When needing to comb out briars or burrs spray on the area liberally and wait just a few seconds then start combing. It really helps out. 

2. Get a comb not a brush, your gonna need it still. 

3. Musher wax is not just for the paws, use it on other spots you don't want snow or ice to build up. 

9/13/21 @ 1:27 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Beautiful dog.

Not sure about setters but I never trim my Grifon as they have a wooly coat that doesnt grow back.

Like the previous poster said might want to trim the hind quarters and some tail at least

9/12/21 @ 8:57 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Two person job, one cutter one holder . Get rid of the feathering  hair on legs and tail . Ears are harder to do unless you use a clippers  . A scissors is slower , but no noise . Maybe not as scary . 

Or just slather on the vasaline   !!!! 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE