MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Purina pro plan sport

3/14/19 @ 4:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11

I have been shopping for a new puppy and noticed most of the breeders are promoting purina pro plan.  ( saying that is what the pups are started on and what they recommend). 

Is this food that good, or are they getting money to promote/sponsored?

Edited on 3/14/19 10:36 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
5/17/19 @ 4:47 PM
Winchester30
Winchester30
USER since 10/20/12

Regardless of the star rating, if you read the ingredient content and descriptions, it sounds pretty objective to me.

I shared my research with someone in the food industry along with my vets opinion and was able to make my own decision. 

Post Your Comment
5/16/19 @ 12:02 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

re dog food advisor ratings. Beware. It is not objective.  I have read several dog food lables with various ratings by dog food advisor and dog food advisor lacks consitent objective ratings. 
I do suspect that the web site owner does not favor Purina for one thing Purina is owned by Nestle.  Nestle is a large conglomerate and has a reputation for ruthless business practices going back many decades.  If someone wishes to not buy Purina for this reason this could be a respectable action. However objectively Pro Plan does not deserve the low rating and reviews from dog food advisor.  Many people on this thread including myself have seen firsthand the health benefits of using Pro Plan.

Post Your Comment
5/14/19 @ 7:42 PM
Winchester30
Winchester30
USER since 10/20/12

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/american-natural-premium-dog-food/

Company headquarters are located in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.

American Natural Premium pet foods are co-packed for the company by Fromm which has several USDA-inspected pet food manufacturing plants in Wisconsin.

Post Your Comment
5/14/19 @ 7:37 PM
3/18/19 @ 10:43 AM
Graceonpoint
Graceonpoint
USER since 10/24/17

Purina Pro Plan is quality food but both of my bird dogs (EP & ES) were not good eaters on it.  I thought they were just picky eaters, unfortunately I had them on the wrong food for years.  It wasn't that big a deal during the offseason but during the hunting season I was always mixing stuff in trying to get them to eat to keep their energy up and some weight on them   I switched to Orijen two hunting seasons ago and they gobbled it down like they were eating a piece of meat dropped on the floor.  They kept their weight on, and no more hunting diarrhea that they had on the Purina.   Orijen is pretty pricey for year round feeding so I switch to Acana for most of the year and the dogs eat it well too.  Acana is around $60 for 25lbs and Purina Pro Plan is $50 for 37.5 lbs.   However, because of the higher calorie content you feed less food.  I feed 1/2 cup less food a day with the Acana vs Purina so when you factor that in the price between they're similar.  

Post Your Comment
3/16/19 @ 6:57 AM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

I feed Pro Plan Sport Performance during hunting season and Active during off season.  Purina investment in R&D and resultant product results have far more to do with their prominence in the performance dog world then fact they are great sponsors and ambassadors to our sports.  

Post Your Comment
3/15/19 @ 10:40 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Yes they are heavy sponsors of dog sporting/training events and thats how it got recommended to me.  My breeder recommended to me as well.  When I switched to another food there was a noticeable change in energy level and hair character and I have tried several others of various quality.  Some others are of higher or equal quality but for the money purina pro sport is the best value. I just bought 3-50 pound bags cuz of a good sale price at fleet farm.

fyi to answer your question Musky My guess is that the breeder isnt profiting directly from purina by promoting but the various organizations the breeder belongs to are sponsored/supported in part by purina

Edited on 3/15/19 10:56 PM
Post Your Comment
3/15/19 @ 10:08 AM
mapper
mapper
USER since 1/4/02

I have a 5 yr old yellow lab and all I have ever fed her is Pro Plan. Started with the puppy formula until she was 6 mos old and then switched over to the adult. She has done really well on it. When I got her I also had a GSP that was on a different food. When I tried the lab on that food she got loose stools, so I did some research and switched to the Pro Plan line. Cleared it right up. Just like one of the others mentioned my lab eats other things- rabbit poop- like it is going out of style. I have a standing order with the vet for an antibiotic, but that is a whole other story......

Mapper  

Post Your Comment
3/15/19 @ 8:07 AM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

That's what they were feeding the pups when I got my last GSP.  I fed her that until she was an adult and switched to Iams, which I've been feeding my adult dogs for many years.

Post Your Comment
3/15/19 @ 7:33 AM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

Purina is a good food. But what drives most of the trainers and breeders i think is the fact that alot of the clubs (hrc, akc etc..) are sponsored by purina, some of the hunt tests ive been in even give free bags out with registration.

That being said, it is a decent food. Just not the best food imho.  Personally ive been feeding the sprout naturals line. My boy os doing pretty good on it.... but he also eats goose poop!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts