SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Looking for vet recommendations for a hunting dog with a partial tear of an ACL

10/17/22 @ 9:00 PM
INITIAL POST
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Hey guys I live in the Milwaukee area looking for a vet who has some experience with a hunting dog that has a partial tear in the ACL. If you guys have any experience with this or have a vet that you would recommend would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/6/22 @ 1:07 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

My springer had a partial tear, the vet did the Kevlar fishing line repair. The next year the other one, same vet, same repair. She is 12 now, both back legs fixed and still have a hard time keeping up with her. Repair was $700 each time 

10/30/22 @ 10:26 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

As you will find out these surgeons have a backlog like you won’t believe. My vet back in May wanted my pooch to get TPLO. she gave me references to 6 clinics. the earliest anyone of them could get me in for the “consultation” was late July! Surgery to follow in 3-6 weeks. In the meantime it was possible she could do the same thing to her good leg Thus surgery on both legs. At $ 3-5000/leg.

I was referred to a vet in Pardeville who does a procedure that seems to be somewhat of his own these days. I listened to what he had to say and we decided to give it a go rather than to watch a 3 legged dog for 3 months. Especially one that likes to motor! At this point it seems to have worked...although I was sceptical at first. these surgeries aren’t easy on a dog.....

10/22/22 @ 10:03 AM
Surfer
User since 6/21/01

D/M, I very highly recommend Dr. Scott at Lake Geneva Animal Hospital. He does probably more CCL (it's not ACL) surgeries than anyone. He has an excellent team. When my girl tore her CCL 3 years ago, we got an opinion from a well know Vet clinic that has several surgeons and locations. I was figuring on having them do it until the people at the animal shelter where I volunteered at the time told me how great Dr Scott is. They were right on. I met with him and he convinced me to have the surgery there. He also said she could go home the same day, unlike the other vets. Also his price was much lower, although I don't know what it would be nowadays. He also performs all three types of procedures for CCLs. It's been about 3 years now and my girl is a hunting maniac, Never shows any problems and we pheasant hunt 5 days a week. If you want to consider him, I would be happy to go along with you to his clinic.

Thanks, Gene

10/21/22 @ 5:00 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

Dr Terry Trepel, 

Pardeeville Vet Hospital

pardeeville Wi

10/19/22 @ 11:10 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Very good point graceonpoint.

One our labs had a partial tear. Cleared up on its own. Do the self rehab yourself. Basically keep the dog best you can under light duty for a few months.

Bella actually did the tear running through crusty snow. Lesson learned there. She was probably only about 7 at the time. Still with us at 15. Light duty dove hunting in cut corn this year. Retired from duck dog duties.

FIL had a partial tear corrected on there 5 year old lab 2 years ago. Dog never fully recovered. Dog still to this day nurses the leg even tho vet re-xrayed joint with no issues detected. I think mentally affects some dogs after the fact.

Looking for vet recommendations for a hunting dog with a partial tear of an ACL photo by Fowler2
Looking for vet recommendations for a hunting dog with a partial tear of an ACL photo by Fowler2
10/18/22 @ 8:25 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

If its a partial tear is there any chance it will heal on it own, I would go with that option.   My experience with the ACL surgery on my EP was not very good.   The recovery time is long and was not a pleasant experience for me or my dog.  I'm not sure if the surgery really extended her hunting career she tore the ACL at 5 she had noticeable arthritis in the leg at around 8, she tore the other ACL at around 9 or 10.  I just let the second one heal on its own it took about 6 months.  By the time she passed at 13 both legs were stiff with arthritis but she was still able to hunt for short periods up until she died.   I'm not sure what I would do if my current hunting partner tore his ACL. The photos are her in her prime and at age 13 on her last hunt.  Good luck having an injured buddy is no fun.

Looking for vet recommendations for a hunting dog with a partial tear of an ACL photo by Graceonpoint
Looking for vet recommendations for a hunting dog with a partial tear of an ACL photo by Graceonpoint
10/18/22 @ 5:58 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

I USED BLUE PEARL IN NORTHFIELD IL FOR MY DOGS SURGERY ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO.  HE HAD BOTH OF THE BACK LEGS DONE ABOUT 8 WEEKS APART.  NOT CHEAP BUT HE IS MY BUDDY.  DONT REMEMBER THE DOCTORS NAME BUT THEY ARE GREAT.

10/18/22 @ 5:05 AM
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Thank you for your recommendation. I looked at their website they definitely look good and look like they have some experience in this kind of stuff! Thank you so much for your recommendation I feel better already this whole thing is making me sick worrying about my buddy!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE