MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Hunting dog HATES fireworks!

7/20/20 @ 10:20 PM
INITIAL POST
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

So I just brought my new setter home from training in Phillips. She was gone for six weeks.  I went up and watched her handle quail like a champ and she is steady to flush and shot and 100% whoa broke.  No issues with the starter pistol at all. In fact she never paid any attention to it. 

Now I’m dealing with non stop fireworks all over where we live. The poor dog is scared to death to go out at night.  She is keeping up with training. Enthusiastic about it. But I’m afraid the fireworks might make her gun shy before the season starts. 

Any suggestions to help her get past this?  I’ve asked the neighbors to cool it and, for the most part they have. But there are still people out there lighting them up. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
7/22/20 @ 11:10 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I may have found a solution. I greased up some pheasant wings with grouse scent and hid them in bushes around the yard the last two nights. When I let her out at bedtime, her nose went to work and she began locating and pointing the hidden wings. Some fireworks were popping off in the distance and she did not care a bit!  Found the wings, did her business and off to bed without incident. 

Thanks for the input!  Much appreciated. 

7/22/20 @ 11:02 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

She learned there's a reward when the gun goes off.  Not so with fireworks.

Toss her a quail every time a firework goes off.  She'll learn to love them.

7/21/20 @ 7:01 PM
hoofhearted25
User since 1/4/10

I had a Working Partner for 9 years. Gentle dog unless the commands were given. Took him to range and he never showed issue or concern, thunder/storms and fireworks a different dog.  My trainer told me the thunder can be felt in the ground through the paws, for miles. The fireworks have a different concussion. I could put him in a down and shoot next to him and he would stay. 

They now have a "thunder shirt. I here it works very nice.   Good luck. 

Basement or squad was his sanctuary.

7/21/20 @ 1:37 PM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I understand your concern since your still in the puppy phase and not fully through the introduction to the gun, hopefully you wont have any issues.  I had a EP and my hunting buddy has an ES that over time became terrified of fireworks, thunder, and gun shots, but it was never an issue for either in the field.   

7/21/20 @ 11:51 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Thanks gentlemen. HH, I have experienced bird dogs that hate fireworks and I had one once that would run out and pick up spent rockets. We have been keeping her down in the basement office with music on and that helps. She also seems fine if we put her crate in our bedroom. But she is skittish on her bedtime walk. 

I just don’t want her to be afraid when we start chasing birds in September. Gonna take her to the club next month and run her with dummies and blanks just to make sure she is steady before the games begin. 

7/21/20 @ 10:24 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Every birddog I've had hated fireworks, but it was never a problem in the field. 

They just seem to know the difference between a shotgun blast and everything else.

7/21/20 @ 10:21 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Might try putting her in basement or some soundproof area and playing music or TV

my dog loves gunfire from any distance, rapidfire gunshots and firworks gives her some confusion. she absolutely hates thunderstorms and thats the only time we let her into our bedroom.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE