SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

How do you know when it is time ?

9/22/21 @ 6:08 AM
INITIAL POST
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I have a 14.5 y/o lab...   from time to time I have to help him get up... but with some good effort he can get up on his own.  Sometimes he lays on his mat too long and when he dose get up to go out side he don't make it and leaves a mess to be cleaned up.

He can't really see past his nose much any more and his hearing is shot... And for the most part... he is so skinny... nothing but skin and bones. 

He still eats ...  still likes to get his petting... 

How do you know when it is time to take him in for the shot ? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
2/22/22 @ 11:33 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

I avoided opening up this thread for a few days. Sorry to hear the news Igor and Analog Man. I hope you can get more good days with your best buddies.  Most of these decisions are made for us when our pups can no longer eat or have major mobility problems. I do agree with some of the other comments about finding a vet who will come to the home. Just makes the process seem 100x better than in a vet room.

2/22/22 @ 6:53 PM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

Yesterday my bud who is 14 didn't wake me at 6:30 a.m. like does every morning. I found him partially out of his crate unable to get up. I tried coaxing him with all his favorite words. Outside, truck, ball etc. with no response.  I was able to get him on his feet to give him his eat and go outside. I got him up on my leather couch ,covered him up and had a good cry. To the vet by noon. Blood work, exam and xrays. Vet said 1 disc at the base of his neck and one at the small of his back are deteriorating. Cortisone shots and a prescription and keep him mellow for a few days .Today he is back to being himself though I kept him calm other than a few trips outside. I know someday it won't be a good outcome. I try to prepare for it, but find it to difficult. 

How do you know when it is time ? photo by Analog man
2/20/22 @ 4:41 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Enduring this right now.  Out yellow turned 14 last Monday and is struggling big-time to get up.  Once up she can walk a little but not much.  My wife wants to hang on longer, I don't.  Her demeanor hasn't changed, still has a vibrant look but time is short.  When that day comes I would suggest you all invest in Seagrams stock because their vodka sales will spike.....

2/19/22 @ 9:25 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

You will know when it is time.

Don’t feel ashamed when you do. A part of me died every time I have had to do it. A being that trusts you exclusively, and you put it down. Really  tough, but righteous. So long my friends.

How do you know when it is time ? photo by Kutt2
2/16/22 @ 5:40 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Vegas,

Thanks for the input on glucosamine. I have always heard it works good but delayed actually getting it. It is working very well and noticeable after one week of taking it.   More pep and even chasing after the daughters pup for a little bit before tiring. Mild Wisconsin winter helps also!

2/14/22 @ 11:22 PM
1HAWKEYE1
User since 2/25/13

It's time.  Had to put my 14 year old yellow lab down about 4 years ago. Couldn't jump up on the bed anymore.  Needed help getting up. Seemed as if he couldn't get comfortable.  Don't make him suffer.  He doesn't want to make a mess. You are delaying this for you. 

Do the right thing.  Sorry. 

Mike Yonker 

10/1/21 @ 7:28 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well said Birdy. I think when the time comes to take care of our dogs, I cry not only for them but in a way for myself too. In the realization that another block of years has slipped away from my life and that we are all heading for our eventual end and the dogs and birds we love to chase will be gone. That said a new pup springs hope of more fun days afield!!! 

9/30/21 @ 11:28 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

It’s funny, in a sad way, that these animals teach us so much about our own frailty and human condition.  We love them from puppy hood, hunt over them, play fetch, swim with them, run, and then, way too soon, they depart. I’ve cried like a baby over every dog I’ve had. But my life is so full thanks to them. 

They give us so much. As hard as it is to send them off, we owe it to them in the end.  I pray for every one who ever has to say good bye to their best friend. 

9/30/21 @ 1:16 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Same for me RegJoe. My springer crapped in his kennel one night and made a mess of himself. When I saw him in the morning he looked at me with a face of disgust. I said OK and took him in that day. I had made 2 or 3 appointments earlier to take him in but just couldn't do it. I would take him to a field or woods and let him run for that one last time but he always looked so happy that I would back out. They always break your heart in the end for sure- its one of the rules of owning a dog. However I have found that getting a new pup is a definite cure for a broken heart 

9/30/21 @ 6:14 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

You will know when its time.  I got the "look" from one of my labs a few years ago.  We went to the vet that day.  Hate to see them suffer at all.  She was 15 and three days at the time.

9/28/21 @ 12:36 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

How is the dog's breathing?  I recently went through this with my dog.  He started breathing fast and short, even when he had been laying for a long time.  When I called my vet to ask how we would know, he immediately asked me how his breathing was.  He said the fast and short breaths is a sign of discomfort and indicated to him it was most definitely time.

9/28/21 @ 10:29 AM
FishChip
User since 2/2/17

One thing I'll add that hasn't been mentioned is that there are mobile vets who specialize in at home euthanasia. For a small fee they drive to your home and administer the final medication right there. I feel it's more comfortable for your friend to go at home rather than in a vet clinic.

And as someone said make sure to be there. I missed ours as I was hunting and deeply regret it.

9/27/21 @ 2:21 PM
duxup
User since 8/5/05

So sorry to hear of your situation...never easy. But agree that "you'll know" when it's time. And you'll also know if you're being selfish (that is a harsh word in this situation). And when you feel that, it's really time. I've read all the posts and was not till the last one where I saw what I wanted to say.....having it done at home. I made the mistake (for me) of having my first lab put down at the vet, a place she never really liked, and I swore that I'd never have my hunting partner go out with that smell in their nose. My last guy was done at home, by a vet I had to hire, but worth if for me and him. I now have an 11 year old and a 5-month old. The 11-year old made a nice retrieve for me Saturday on a drake woodie, it is an easy spot, no more hunting out of a boat for him. Hope he gets a couple more this season....may be his last.

9/25/21 @ 6:57 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21

Mikieb first off very sorry to hear you have to start considering the decision, it's so tough. My last lab was 13.5 and also had alot of trouble getting up and down but could generally walk around ok once he was up. He also sometimes couldnt get up in time for the bathroom. But he was happy still and content to just wander a little in the yard and then lay around outside or in the house. Still ate and even wanted to play sometimes. It was finally time when he couldnt stand up for very long anymore, and honestly looking back I waited too long and often feel bad about it. I loved that dog so much. He was my 3rd lab I have had to put down. It's always so hard. The one thing I did learn this time that is if your vet wont do it at home, there are vets that will, for a fee obviously. I had the vet come to the house and we did it outside in the yard as he layed in one of his favorite spots. He passed so peacefully and quietly. It was a 100x "better" experience than taking the 2 labs I had before him to the vet clinic. It was honestly worth any price to me, I will gladly pay for the same for my 4th lab i have now when the times comes, which is hopefully a long time away.

9/25/21 @ 10:07 AM
Bruno1
User since 3/21/14

To lighten the mood just a bit, when our yellow lab was getting close, she could no longer walk up the stairs or get up on our bed.  She would sit downstairs at night and bark.  I ended up sleeping on the couch downstairs for a few weeks next to her.  After 12+ years I felt like that was the least I could do.  Annoyed the snot out of my wife who jokingly (I think) told me either she goes or I go, and of course I said (jokingly more or less), "gosh honey, I'm going to miss you....."  Had to put her down a few weeks later (dog not my wife) but I felt like it was important that I give her some comfort in her last days.  Hope I am not being too irreverant in my comments.  It is a really tough situation but it is part of the circle of life - from chewing up shoes, digging up freshly planted fruit trees, and eating two Thanksgiving pies, to those last days, that's what we sign up for......  Good luck.

Bruno

Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE