SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Golden Retriever for hunting

9/6/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

Looking at the Lake Link community for help.  As a life long golden retriever family, we are in search of golden retriever breeder that has dogs with strong lines for hunting (waterfowl and upland) as well as longevity.

Veteranarian friends talk about the health and the fact that English Golden’s may be less prone to health issues.

i have searched the web.  Any direction or sites that could direct me to English Golden Breeders etc that hunt well would be appreciated.

Please share your thoughts as well.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
1/21/21 @ 11:11 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

I will forward this info to him and report back what he decides to do.

Thanks, Mac

1/20/21 @ 5:40 PM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

As I started this sthred 2 years ago, we are also now in the market for golden that has hunting drive, but I am also looking for crossover to confirmation as well.  Almost 2 different breeds.

But

Will share my recent contacts below for Goldens and breeders with great hunting lines.

Maple Hills

Miners

Prairie Fire

Webshire (has been mentioned here)

Good luck ans please share what you find

1/20/21 @ 3:18 PM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Had to revive this thread. My nephew is looking for a golden pup to work with both in the field and at home. 

He has had experience with Labs before and I with Springers but could use some kennel recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Mac

9/20/18 @ 11:51 PM
519vx
User since 7/7/05

One other that I should have mentioned is Nelson kennels out of MN.  I haven’t (yet) bought a dog from him, but they look great and I’ve heard good reports on his dogs. 

Dont fear the drive. Your going to see what might be your best buddy for the next decade or more. 

9/20/18 @ 7:31 PM
519vx
User since 7/7/05

I’m on my fourth and fifth Golden’s now.  They are the best of both worlds - great family dogs and outstanding hunters, but solid hunting bloodlines matter. 

In general the light or white coated Golden’s (English) are bred for show/obedience.   The red coats/dark coats are generally  the field/working dogs. 

My current Golden came from Webshire Kennels near Appleton. She’s only 2 now but is a smart, very high drive dog.  I’d recommend Webshire to anyone. 

Youll never regret your decision to get a Golden. 

9/20/18 @ 5:30 PM
SPRINGERMAN
User since 12/22/05

Look into ridgeway kennels out of winneconne wi.Steve Raehl breeder.Dam Great dogs.

9/7/18 @ 6:46 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Just be aware that there is often a big difference in energy level between field bred goldens and confirmation goldens. If you’re used to a low key golden and get a high energy field bred golden, you may be in for a surprise you weren’t expecting. Spend some time researching breeders and their dogs. Spending some time with the parents will give you some idea of what to expect as far as energy level. I had 2 goldens that were more from confirmation lines that were both great hunters but both on the low end of the energy scale when not hunting. I wouldn’t say that any dog will hunt but if you start them at a young enough age and expose them to enough birds, most will.

I can’t help you on particular breeders but can assure you that there are plenty of good breeders and I wouldn’t narrow the focus on “English” goldens. A reputable breeder isn’t going to breed unhealthy lines. You should expect to pay around $1500 for a well bred dog and waiting a year for a puppy wouldn’t be unreasonable.

For training I would recommend finding a HRC group to train with near you. Bill Hillman has an excellent puppy training video. Graham Evans has an excellent training program for past puppy stage although he has a good puppy training instruction as well.  

Gently get the puppy exposed to gunfire early. A gun shy dog is a major handicap for hunting that often can’t be remedied. Also introduce them to bird wings early to get them interested. 

9/6/18 @ 8:48 PM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

Thanks for reply. I will take name but am not in the market for a year or two.

9/6/18 @ 2:21 PM
delta00
User since 6/3/13

Not sure about English Goldens but I know somebody who has pups on the ground now.  Both mom and dad have all health clearances.  

If you want a great golden that is both strong in the field yet a good citizen in the home these are worth checking out.  

Message me and I can give you contact info if you are interested.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE