SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

dog sick

5/17/21 @ 8:35 AM
INITIAL POST
dibbles
PRO MEMBER User since 12/29/01

what to give dog my black lab that has diarrhea the past two days.  Do not know of anything that she got into..  She does eat dandilions heads once in awhile.

any help is appreciated

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
5/21/21 @ 10:37 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling, has been my "go to" remedy for years.  My weimaraner always had a sensitive stomach.  And she liked eating anything she could find in the grouse woods.  A couple of tablespoons mixed into her dry food usually fixed her up the same day.  I use this on our young setter with great results.   

5/20/21 @ 5:28 PM
Heartguy26
Heartguy26
User since 12/5/07

I have heard you can to put canned plain pumpkin (not pie filing) in their food.  Another is to change to boiled hamburger and white rice for a few days until feeling better.  Or you can put all three together.  Good Luck.

Tom

5/20/21 @ 1:36 PM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15

There has been a huge dog food / salmonella recall issue ongoing since early in the year. Unless you can rule it out, throw out any older food that might be causing the problem. Also be careful handling any of the pet food as people can get really sick from contact/injestion. 

5/20/21 @ 11:29 AM
DJurgens
User since 5/21/11

In the past we would not give the dog anything to eat for 12  hours and then only about a cup of cooked plain white rice. Day 2 would be only cooked white rice. Day 3 we would start to mix in the dry dog food. FYI- dogs can get diarrhea from drinking excess water also if they did not eat anything unusual. Hope this helps.

5/20/21 @ 5:10 AM
dibbles

thank you for all the put in responses.  I went with the plain greek yogurt and put beef broth (unsalted) in water to keep hydrated.

Better in about 2 days.

Thanks

5/18/21 @ 12:24 PM
local fisherman
User since 5/2/05

I have the exact same thing going on with my lab now.  With our previous lab we would feed him chicken and rice for a few days.  Somehow that makes their stomach better.

5/17/21 @ 11:42 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have used (at the recommendation of my vet) boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice made with chicken broth. Very easy on her stomach and she ALWAYS eats it. My female chocolate lab is about 68-70 pounds and I usually give it to her in small amounts (1/2-2/3 cup at a time) 3 or 4 times per day. After a couple days I will start mixing her food back into it in place of the chicken. If her upset stomach continues past 3 or 4 days I usually call my vet. Her food has probiotics integrated in it, so we don't usually get too carried away with that. Sometimes I give the chicken breast and chicken broth with her food as a reward after a long day of hunting. Like I said, she loves it and usually I get extra snuggles on the couch that night as a show of gratitude. Obviously, if there is blood or anything in her stool, seek a vet as it could be pancreatitis or something more serious. Good luck! 

5/17/21 @ 2:01 PM
wanna b outdoors
User since 7/17/14

Dibbles, my black lab responded best to plain greek yogurt and she loved the stuff. We had been trying rice and cottage cheese before that. After we switched to the plain greek yogurt, the problem cleared up in a couple of days.

5/17/21 @ 1:21 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Yeah, the bland diet helps for sure. Another thing to consider if this becomes a recurring thing is a probiotic. Ours has a sensitive stomach to begin with, so we've started giving him a probiotic twice weekly with his food and he's been fine since then. 

5/17/21 @ 12:07 PM
Riverrat351
User since 9/26/15

Look up "Boiled hamburger/rice" for dogs w/ diarrhea. We've done this with our labs and had good success.

5/17/21 @ 10:55 AM
dibbles

She would be 80 lb female British lab

5/17/21 @ 9:51 AM
topam
topam
User since 1/22/05

had this happen a couple of times so yes definitely get them to drink water, limit the normal food or use very little but put pumpkin or yogurt in there, they should be back to normal in a day or two

5/17/21 @ 9:49 AM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

Water with electrolytes would be my first thought.... 

5/17/21 @ 8:40 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
How big a dog?  We give our golden retriever an immodium tablet when he gets diarhea. Maybe talk to your vet before doing that though, as weight plays a factor I'm sure.  They may want a sample though to rule out worms. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE