MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Depression and Separation Anxiety

8/26/20 @ 4:04 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I sort of feel silly posting this but looking for advice. When Covid-19 became a thing earlier in the year, my son came home from college to finish the semester online. That was his sophomore year so he had been away from home two years. He was home for 3 months the summer between freshmen and sophomore year. During this pandemic, he was home for over 5 months and our dog got really used to him being around. My son was even  home every day with him during the summer as he did his internship from home. We moved him back to college last Saturday. He's in an apartment this year so he took most of his belongings with him such as his dresser and desk leaving his room here empty except for his bed. 

The dog has obviously taken notice and is in a deep state of depression. He's laying next to his bed as I type this. What's worse, whenever my wife or I leave the house, he freaks out and wails for us to come back. I assume he'll get used to it in time but it's just heart breaking to watch right now. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/6/23 @ 6:17 PM
JamesHenders
User since 6/6/23
6/6/23 @ 7:37 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
It's not just humans they form close bonds with. A few years back we spent a week at my parents' place in Chicago. We'd been there for weekends here and there but this was the first extended trip for our golden. He and my parent's Rottweiler always got along and they played well together, to the point of thinking it was bizarre HOW well they were tolerating each other. But we never expected to come home and think there was something wrong with him because he was so mopey, groan-y, whiney....only to find out my parents' dog was doing the exact same thing lol.
6/6/23 @ 5:37 AM
JamesHenders
User since 6/6/23
Dogs are incredibly perceptive and form strong bonds with their human family members. When a familiar presence suddenly disappears, it can be distressing for them. The fact that your son was home for an extended period due to the pandemic has made the adjustment even harder for your dog. It's heartwrenching to witness their sadness and hear their cries when you leave.
The good news is that with time and patience, your dog can adapt to this new routine. Just like humans, dogs can experience a range of emotions and go through periods of adjustment. Providing him with extra love, attention, and reassurance can go a long way in helping him feel more secure.
In the meantime, you can check this article that explains the neurodivergent meaning, which might offer some insights into the emotional experiences of both humans and animals. It's always helpful to gain a better understanding of how our minds work.
6/6/23 @ 5:24 AM
JaylahGlass
JaylahGlass
User since 11/24/22
I just came across your post, and I can totally relate to what you're going through. It's not silly at all to seek advice and support during challenging times. The pandemic has disrupted our lives in so many ways, and the impact it has on our pets can be significant too. It's understandable that your dog is feeling the absence of your son and experiencing separation anxiety.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE