Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Breed suggestions

1/19/21 @ 11:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fetch-um-up
USER SINCE 2/19/06

I've owned couple pointers over the years, but mostly a Lab man.   My 2 black labs currently are 11 and 15.  You'd never guess it from looking at them, great physical shape and smallish size, 45-50 pounds... Anyway, I hunt combination of everything from dove to waterfowl to upland. My dogs are family members, staying in the house and allowed on some furniture.  

I'm thinking of switching to a breed that doesn't shed as bad.  Looking for suggestions.....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/20/21 @ 7:53 AM
walleye27
USER SINCE 1/25/07

german shorthair pointer,very good also

1/19/21 @ 7:56 PM
fetch-um-up
USER SINCE 2/19/06

I was lucky.  Abby started pointing woodcock and sharp tails her first year!  The other Lab, her daughter Remi, shows a little of the same tenancies.  As for your pup, I'd not be to soon to fault him as being soft, he's still a pup....

1/19/21 @ 7:49 PM
mikieb
USER SINCE 10/11/15

Good luck !   I just got done going thru the same thing you are.... after 3 labs in a row,  I needed a house/grouse dog and I wanted something different that a lab... out of my last three labs, only one was a good grouse dog... The lab I have now is 14 and in the last 14 years I can only think of one grouse I shot off of him, so I didn't want to chance another non grouse hunting lab.

I ended up with a Britt after shopping and shopping and shopping.

I have to tell you.... If you want a good dog,  from a good litter.... you best start working it now... I committed for a male pup in August,  from a litter welped on Thanks Giving. 

I'm not saying the Britt is the answer for you..  you have to choose what is right for you. I will say, after having this little Britt for the last few weeks, I can see why Labs are so popular... the Britt is really soft... and is vary adverse to inclment weather and cold... So, if you do get a different breed... remember, it's not a lab...  and you will need to adjust your handling accordingly

1/19/21 @ 7:09 PM
Duffin
USER SINCE 12/16/10

I’m partial to WPG

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.