Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Breed suggestions

1/19/21 @ 11:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fetch-um-up
USER SINCE 2/19/06

I've owned couple pointers over the years, but mostly a Lab man.   My 2 black labs currently are 11 and 15.  You'd never guess it from looking at them, great physical shape and smallish size, 45-50 pounds... Anyway, I hunt combination of everything from dove to waterfowl to upland. My dogs are family members, staying in the house and allowed on some furniture.  

I'm thinking of switching to a breed that doesn't shed as bad.  Looking for suggestions.....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/20/21 @ 7:53 AM
walleye27
USER SINCE 1/25/07

german shorthair pointer,very good also

1/19/21 @ 7:56 PM
fetch-um-up
USER SINCE 2/19/06

I was lucky.  Abby started pointing woodcock and sharp tails her first year!  The other Lab, her daughter Remi, shows a little of the same tenancies.  As for your pup, I'd not be to soon to fault him as being soft, he's still a pup....

1/19/21 @ 7:49 PM
mikieb
USER SINCE 10/11/15

Good luck !   I just got done going thru the same thing you are.... after 3 labs in a row,  I needed a house/grouse dog and I wanted something different that a lab... out of my last three labs, only one was a good grouse dog... The lab I have now is 14 and in the last 14 years I can only think of one grouse I shot off of him, so I didn't want to chance another non grouse hunting lab.

I ended up with a Britt after shopping and shopping and shopping.

I have to tell you.... If you want a good dog,  from a good litter.... you best start working it now... I committed for a male pup in August,  from a litter welped on Thanks Giving. 

I'm not saying the Britt is the answer for you..  you have to choose what is right for you. I will say, after having this little Britt for the last few weeks, I can see why Labs are so popular... the Britt is really soft... and is vary adverse to inclment weather and cold... So, if you do get a different breed... remember, it's not a lab...  and you will need to adjust your handling accordingly

1/19/21 @ 7:09 PM
Duffin
USER SINCE 12/16/10

I’m partial to WPG

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
The Deadeye Custom Series rods are all custom technique specific walleye jigging rods designed for the tournament walleye angler. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Dead Eye Custom Series Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.