MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

BLASTO

12/15/14 @ 11:49 AM
INITIAL POST
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
has anybody ever treated their dog for blasto, just looking for info and experiences that you may have encountered. thanks all for any help.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
7/1/20 @ 3:47 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Lar-   Good news about Loki.. Glad to here he is adjusting to his new normal.. Appreciate all the dog owners on this site posting about this terrible fungus. Hope none of my pups ever get blasto but at least I am now more informed..

7/1/20 @ 10:23 AM
lar
lar
User since 7/13/01

The one eye Loki is doing fine. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. Nor slow him down... Still on meds.

3/29/20 @ 10:58 AM
MMLJ
User since 4/8/11

My observations from having dealt with two dogs with Blasto: 1) Don't mess around. Start the medication immediately. Don't wait for the lab test results. Beg your vet to start on the meds while awaiting the results. 2) Once the vet says the test results indicate Blasto is gone, do meds for another 3 months.  One of our dogs tested clean and it came back with a vengeance.  We kept the other dog on meds (learned from experience) for 3 months and was fine.  3) My understanding is that antibiotics can make it worse. During our first experience the vet said we don't know what it is so we'll give antibiotics because it might be Lyme's, and within 3 days dog was in an oxygen tent.  If your dog has symptoms, and vet doesn't want to treat for blasto, go to another vet.  If you are not in a Blasto hot spot, some vets don't know how to treat and your dog could die.  I live in Blasto epicenter and vets look at symptoms and give the first dose immediately while awaiting the test results.  

3/28/20 @ 1:34 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

I hope for the best lar!  Great looking pup! 

Horrible fungi disease. Our 11year old Lab beat it. Diagnosed at 1 years old. Fluconozole was treatment. She was on treatment meds for about a year or so. Worked great. 

She had infection and scarring in her right eye. Agressive steroid med's helped to restore most of her vision. Fast forward to present time. Glaucoma in her scarred eye but eye med's help relieve pressure. Noticable joint arthritis in areas that were blasto infected. Very loving and happy dog. 

Good luck with the fight lar. There is truly hope! 

3/27/20 @ 8:10 PM
lar
lar
User since 7/13/01

Update. We had his left removed on Monday. Today Friday he's back to his normal self. The blasto infected eye was causing a lot of pain. He's being treated with fluconazole.  After 3 months he will be evaluated again. They said to expect 3 to 6 months of treatment.

3/22/20 @ 5:51 PM
Winchester30
User since 10/20/12

Sorry to hear, man that sucks. 

Hope the recovery goes as well as it can. 

3/21/20 @ 9:27 PM
lar
lar
User since 7/13/01

My one year old male vizsla was just urine tested and came up positive for blasto. Have a pond and Creek in the backyard. At first they thought it was an eye infection in his left eye. Didn't get any better with treatment. So my wife took him to Madison. He lost vision in that eye. Detached retina from inflammation. Now being treated properly for the past week and seems to be responding. Sucky fungus to get.

10/1/19 @ 8:27 AM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/4667803-Fungal-disease-ravaging-Minnesota-dogs-at-record-pace-this-year?fbclid=IwAR0nUgAdg94big6iEa_MDtohYalDXZHJr17Rn79S-mBC-6h8mPDqsLlVkV8

9/8/15 @ 10:30 AM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04
It is from a fungus, not a virus.
9/7/15 @ 6:15 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Wolf and Little Wolf has been a hot spot for blasto this year....never heard of the beaver thing. It's a spore that is inhaled.
9/7/15 @ 5:32 PM
lad 8
User since 5/4/08
Thought I would share. My 20 year old grandson went to the doctor for feeling that he had the flu, doctor told him he contacted Blasto. The family was on a raft trip on the Wolf out of New London, he went on land to go relieve himself. Will be on meds for more then six months. He said the doctor said he thinks the virus comes from Beaver urine. Anybody else hear of this happening.
5/11/15 @ 1:19 PM
Penquin42
User since 2/14/12
Tileguy, It is most likely the Blasto made the dog go blind as it can commonly do that.
5/10/15 @ 7:01 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07
My friend had a black and tan coon hound get blasto in oconto county The medication made it go blind. Don't know for sure if it was the cause but thats what he told me
5/9/15 @ 9:41 PM
Penquin42
User since 2/14/12
I am a veterinarian in Port Washington, WI. Blasto is a disease that is very difficult to treat but can be treated successfully if caught early. It is also expensive as the generic medications do not always work for all dogs so I recommend the name brand medications. A great link to more information on Blasto can be found here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2256 I know Vilas county etc is a hot spot. We also see it around the kettles etc.
1/2/15 @ 8:41 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Sandy soil regions are common for it as well. We think our female Black picked it up in the Lacrosse area in early fall. Dry conditions. She was a digger as a pup. Which we figured how she contracted the fungal infection. If your pup likes to dig, i'd change that real quick.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE