MORE
Catfish Fishing

Where to go to catch 50+lb blues!

1/26/19 @ 9:27 AM
INITIAL POST
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12

Looking to tangle with big blue catfish. If anyone could point me into general direction that be great! Spots for shore or boat would be greatly appreciated. Tried finding leads on lake link fishing reports but everyone seems to not be posting? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
5/31/20 @ 8:46 AM
jimdic
User since 4/16/13

Blue cats don't exist in Wisconsin waters.

5/5/20 @ 8:10 AM
Gaeandilth
User since 5/5/20

If it ever opens back up....Powerton Lake in Pekin IL. Pretty common there to catch 10 blues over 30lbs in a day. Have to use big live bait such as whole bluegill because there is also TONS of channel cat that will screw with you all day on dead bait or small live bait.

3/4/20 @ 5:26 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Kansas river upstream from the Missouri.  My uncle has caught 34 between 50 and 68 lbs. Hes 84 years old and still pulling em in. The river is right across the road from his farm. He usually gets 3 or 4 over 50 lbs every year

2/4/20 @ 6:31 PM
bottom bouncer
bottom bouncer
User since 9/3/02

Arkansas.....  This ones only 44 but there are lots of  'em

2/26/19 @ 8:15 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

Here you go guys! This is my friend today fishing Wheeler Lake catching his PB 85 lb blue cat. #Navionics Rocks!

2/26/19 @ 7:59 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I'll have to see how far that is. Thanks for the tip.

2/26/19 @ 12:56 AM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

What I recommend right now is Decatur, Alabama (Wheeler Lake on the Tennessee River). This is the time of year the big ones are biting. Many bank spot locations near the dams. Get the #Navionics app on your smart phone and tablet ($14.99) per year. Check it out and find a bank spot. Tight Lines to you. I know a guy down there now pounding them. 

2/25/19 @ 12:24 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Where could a guy go right now and have a shot at some blues, shore fishing. I think they're getting them on the Mississippi in deep water. I am willing to drive 9-10 hours if the right spots were accessible. Thanks.

2/1/19 @ 9:36 AM
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12

I feel ya on that one eyelooking tired of the long months of none catting lol.

1/31/19 @ 7:53 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

That is exactly why I am preparing to move to the State of Tennessee.

1/31/19 @ 4:45 PM
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12

I’d be driving don’t really want to drive more then 10hrs. But if I have to just might. 

1/30/19 @ 10:56 AM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

Blue cat fishing is my favorite. To bad Wisconsin does not have them. The closest blue cats from Wisconsin that I know of would be on the Mississippi River below the Keokuk,Iowa dam. The water that you are more likely to catch trophy blue cats would be just about anywhere on the Tennessee River. If you were to ask me where I would prefer to go, I would pick Wheeler Lake in Decatur, Alabama. Some of the biggest blue cats have been caught there and the Tennessee River runs through Wheeler. The Ohio River and Missouri River also have big blue cats. Contact me if you have any further questions and I like to help out of anglers when possible. Thanks!

1/29/19 @ 10:05 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

The locals in Kansas City area told me the Missouri in that area is thick with 40-60 lb blues.

1/29/19 @ 3:23 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

LaSalle Lake, Powerton Lake, Ohio River, Missouri River, Tennessee River, and the Mississippi River from probably central Illinois and south.

1/26/19 @ 6:20 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Below Barkley and Kentucky Lake Dams, or in the lakes. 88 pounder on the lake, look, it up on youtube, "largest catfish ever caught". Some where a few years back I read or saw some thing on the internet about a guy who lives down there and fishes below kentucky dam. I dont know if he was in on building it but he knows all the holes below it and has say there are cats up to 120.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE