Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stink bait staying on hook

8/16/16 @ 9:14 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16

I like the "furry thang" style holder for dip baits and on dough baits I prefer to wrap the bait in a thin layer of cheese cloth.  Using stink in rivers is always difficult and I try to avoid it where possible.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/26/20 @ 4:47 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

I use a piece of coarse sponge dipped in the container. CARPIO 

6/10/20 @ 1:12 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I like using punch bait because the fibers maintain scent longer and stays on hook better.

6/9/20 @ 4:32 PM
LITGUY49
User since 7/23/09

I buy rubber tubes at local Fleet Farm. I cut 'm in half... I lace a #5 Team Catfish hook through tube. Prior to tying on the hook/ tube set up, I lace a 1 ounce pyramid sinker on the line... then an 18 inch steel leader. Attach hook/ tube to leader and off ya go! My GO TO stink bait is Triple S (formerly Sonny's) outta Farmington, Iowa.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Ralph

5/4/20 @ 1:57 PM
Mr.Seaguar
User since 2/5/05

Shrimp works better than stink bait or cut bait. I use 3/0 octopus hooks and kinda thread it on. I buy whole raw frozen shrimp available in your grocers freezer. Good luck.

4/23/20 @ 10:54 PM
StorminNormin1957
User since 2/6/17

Hockey guy, thanks for the input. I was thinking about fish I catch, but you are right, I could use baitshop cut up as well and froze. But with smaller perch, I would like to preserve some for catfish. Any ideas are appreciated. Also, use of a mesh bag for stink bait a bad idea? Texture not right maybe? If I'm way off on both ideas, I can handle polite criticism. Thanks!

4/23/20 @ 6:03 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I second what A5cents says. Always dry the tube off good, and I always smush the tube in the bait really good. It comes out coated really well. I also dip it in water for 20 seconds or so, just before casting it in the water, This does help keep it from flinging off during a long cast. I tried the furry things and the cats don't seem to like it. They prefer the rubber hollow tubes I use. My experience anyway, others certainly have reported success on the furry things. I love the old Sonny's so much, I bought 3 gallons once they converted to Triple S. Same stuff.

4/23/20 @ 10:13 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

What kind of cut bait are you referring to? If you buy from a bait shop and cut it up right away, just freezing it is fine (per an email conversation last year with a DNR biologist and warden). If you're looking to catch/trap your own, you'll need to do more.

4/22/20 @ 9:35 PM
StorminNormin1957
User since 2/6/17

Just started going for channels late last year, caught 2 cats 17" and 18".  Good eating.  Caught a 26 " early April, that I released.  Really fun to catch!  My problem is keeping stink bait on the hook.  It washes off the hook in the river I fish. Has anyone tried the plastic mesh that garlic bulbs come in from the grocery store?  Seems it would work well, maybe with a treble hook.  But thought I would ask  the more experienced fishers.  Chicken livers too?

Also, what could I use to preserve some cut bait to take, and save for use at another location?  I heard that freezing isn't legal enough.  How about some cheap vodka?  Or pickling solution like I use for pickling northerns?  I'm serious, and not too schooled on cat fishing as you can tell.

Thanks for any help.  Norm

9/10/16 @ 1:32 PM
pennrod
User since 9/10/16

I use a 2 to 3" piece of lawn chair webbing. It gets folder in 3/8s then wrapped with a small wire tie. WWWW (top view) like 2 fans from side. Fished with 7/0 Gamakatsu circle hook. Pushed into a jar it holds bait well. Also use Berkley's cat baits on a 6/0.

dennis

8/28/16 @ 2:01 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

I use fish oil from my trapping supplies when dip bait gets too thick. By adding fish oil, it puts more smell out. Veggie oil has little smell.

When it gets too thin, I just dip the Tubbie in the bait and then put it in the water for a little bit. The cooler water sets it up well enough to cast it.

When it comes time to reapply, or after a fish is caught, you must dry off the bait holder. This stuff is water based and does not stick to a wet bait holder.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.