SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Cut Bait and Channel Cat Edibility

7/24/21 @ 4:18 PM
INITIAL POST
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

I'm new to catfishing.  I use cut bait (suckers) to fish a slow moving river with a decent population of channel cats.  If I'm not getting bit for 15 to 20 minutes do I need to put a fresh chunk of bait on?

Also, what is the best size channel cat for eating?  Maybe I should ask what's the maximum size before channels start tasting bad?

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
7/27/21 @ 8:20 PM
Catitude
Catitude
User since 9/4/17

Jroc;

Read a couple of years of the thread Catfishing (real fishing).  TONS of great advice on how to put hundreds of cats on shore anytime of the year.

7/27/21 @ 8:40 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

If the bait is “washed out”, that is pale in color and has no odor then yes change it.  For me I change it no more than 1/2 hour. “Washed Out” is different than rotten. I don’t believe in rotten baits although they do work very well. I prefer freshly filleted and scaled Golden Shiners ( Golden Roaches).   Previously dead shiners are ok too.     As for eating, the ones with spots are the best unless you are catching flatheads.       CARPIO 

7/26/21 @ 5:12 AM
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

Thanks for your reply.  I've just been assuming what you said, with almost any species the smaller fish are tastier than the hogs.  It's also encouraging to not get fidgety if I'm not getting bit. Gotta lot to learn yet.  Thanks again.

7/25/21 @ 11:36 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

I've been eating channel cats  for almost 60 years....the best tasting size is 1 - 4 lbs......and no, you don't need to change bait very often....sometimes the older and stinkier the bait, the better. Used to catch them with chicken livers, fermented in wheat germ for a few days....great bait.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE