LOGIN
Lake-Link

Cranks for channels

3/10/17 @ 7:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Hello,

I have been told by some walley fisherman at work, that I need to throw crankbaits for channel cats, that they catch quite a few when after eyes, primarily around wing damns on Mississippi river, NE Iowa pools 10,11,12.

So my questions are....

I thought cats fed mostly by smell, so is color an issue ? How good are their eyesight, or are they just instinctive/oppurtunity bites from the cats ?

How deep to target, I assume the bottom 2 feet, or do cats susspend more than the average fisherman thinks/realizes ? 

General tips to try with crankbaits when I get out there.

THANKS in advance

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/11/17 @ 5:35 PM
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

Throw the tackle box at them andet them decide. But yes, flash, rattle and maybe give em a shot of scent. The more active fish are hiding in the places of the face of the wing dam, but more towards the river end.

3/11/17 @ 9:54 AM
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Good info, will have to remember the front treble tip to reduce snags.

Rattle traps yes or no for channels ?

THANKS

3/10/17 @ 10:11 PM
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

Cats do have good sniffers, but they can hear/feel noises and vibration very well. As far as how deep, active fish are located in the slack current in front of and the bottom of the wing dam, and the face of the wing dam. There is also another current break on top of the wing dam. Not just cats either. All hungry fish can be caught after the spawn is over and water temperatures come up.

If you are going to throw $7 crank baits at a pile of lure hungry rocks, remove the front treble hook.Deep diving cranks cast short of the wing dam, cranked to the bottom and let them drift back towards the rocks find fish without getting snagged up too much. But whenever you fish wing dams, don't get too emotionally attached to your terminal gear!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.