SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Catfish below dams

8/17/21 @ 11:12 AM
INITIAL POST
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

First some background.  I'm a catfishing newbie, restricted to fishing from shore because of physical disabilities.  I can walk some but not on rough rocky shorelines or approaches, and I haven't been able to reach deep water for daytime summer cats (night vision too poor for driving after dark). I've been picking up a lot from these forums but I haven't seen anything about fishing below dams.  Would I find channel cats in the reachable currents and eddies below dams, or would they stay out in the tailwater areas?  I'm wondering if the aerated waters below a dam might hold fish feeding in the daytime, as opposed to lurking in the deep.  Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/29/23 @ 1:52 AM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Catch alot of catfish while fishing the Wi.river using 2-3 inch sucker minnows for walleyes.
I firmly believe that in the river anyway, all gamefish would prefer a sucker minnow over a shiner, or even a fathead..
That said, if you use sucker minnow, you may get walleyes while fishing for cats. I think that’s a fair trade…
3/5/23 @ 11:59 AM
esox53
User since 3/5/23
Please keep all the catfish that you catch.  After a presentation by DNR staff ,surveying (Fyke Netting) the Wis. River flowages from Mosinee into Petenwell Flowage, it seems catfish are voracious predators, and the game fish and forage base are suffering for it.  My personal opinion...
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE