SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Catfish below dams

8/17/21 @ 11:12 AM
INITIAL POST
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

First some background.  I'm a catfishing newbie, restricted to fishing from shore because of physical disabilities.  I can walk some but not on rough rocky shorelines or approaches, and I haven't been able to reach deep water for daytime summer cats (night vision too poor for driving after dark). I've been picking up a lot from these forums but I haven't seen anything about fishing below dams.  Would I find channel cats in the reachable currents and eddies below dams, or would they stay out in the tailwater areas?  I'm wondering if the aerated waters below a dam might hold fish feeding in the daytime, as opposed to lurking in the deep.  Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/29/23 @ 1:52 AM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Catch alot of catfish while fishing the Wi.river using 2-3 inch sucker minnows for walleyes.
I firmly believe that in the river anyway, all gamefish would prefer a sucker minnow over a shiner, or even a fathead..
That said, if you use sucker minnow, you may get walleyes while fishing for cats. I think that’s a fair trade…
3/5/23 @ 11:59 AM
esox53
User since 3/5/23
Please keep all the catfish that you catch.  After a presentation by DNR staff ,surveying (Fyke Netting) the Wis. River flowages from Mosinee into Petenwell Flowage, it seems catfish are voracious predators, and the game fish and forage base are suffering for it.  My personal opinion...
8/25/22 @ 2:46 PM
Catitude
Catitude
User since 9/4/17

As the water starts to cool the cats will migrate to the deepest water in your system.  The deeper water will be a few degrees warmer.  When you pull them out of the ice they have mud on their bellies.

8/25/22 @ 12:32 PM
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

Do the channel cats make a seasonal movement (similar to walleyes) in the fall?  Upstream to dams or deeper holes?

8/15/22 @ 8:27 AM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Fish near shore where you can find a cut bank. My boat is disabled for now, so I am shore fishing. I was below the Nekoosa dam yesterday with two rods, one out deep and one just a few feet front a sharp drop right at my feet, in less than three feet of water. The fish were not out deep. Folks fishing from shore throw out as far as they can, while boat fisherman cast towards shore.

7/31/22 @ 9:11 AM
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

Another question from the old rookie. I'm learning, and actually catch one every now and then, but the bite rate is frustrating.  Lots of daytime hours (can't fish at night) without a bite most of the time.  Can I expect the bank fishing to pick up as the waters cool in September and October?

7/22/22 @ 9:36 AM
jroc117
User since 6/10/11

I've been getting a few channels, about half on live fatheads and half on chicken livers.  Do chicken gizzards work as well as livers?  Seems like they'd stay on the hook better.  Thanks.

8/17/21 @ 3:59 PM
Catitude
Catitude
User since 9/4/17

In the reservoirs of the Wisconsin River by Stevens Point here is what I have noticed.  The colder the water gets above the dam, the hotter it gets below the dam.  Warmer deep slow water for winter time faster cooler water for the summer.  I never fish at night because I hate bugs and rarely catch anything.  Day cats for me.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE