SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Best tasting catfish

3/4/20 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
pwrproscremin
User since 8/4/08

What is the best tasting catfish?  flatheads or channels?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
4/12/20 @ 6:14 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I agree, Flatheads are just awesome! 

4/12/20 @ 8:23 AM
Mu$ky1
User since 3/26/20

Definitely flatheads , no comparison 

3/26/20 @ 2:33 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Smoked bullheads.... never had Flathead, but long time LL sponsor, Ted Peck had a strong opinion on them.  He called them “pot roast of the river.”

3/21/20 @ 8:41 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Don't forget about bullheads.....love em!!!

3/20/20 @ 12:06 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

The incidental catch of the smaller channel cats while trolling walleyes in Green Bay is a real bonus. Love them fried up like any other fish. Never caught a flathead but I'm told some get them out of the Fox River.

3/14/20 @ 10:22 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

I live in PDC and fish the Wisconsin and the Mississippi so when I do fish cats I look for Channel Cats that yield a fillet just larger than the bun I use, I give away bigger ones or throw them back if they are over 20 inches. My fishing partner says he likes Wisconsin river cats over the Mississippi cats but I really don't taste any difference.(maybe the hot sauce hides the flavor difference) The little cats seem to love stinkbait but we do often catch a couple when fishing gills with crawlers. As far as Flatheads go I catch one or two a year accidently while fishing walleye or even perch with minnows and they always go into the cooler.

3/10/20 @ 8:02 AM
pwrproscremin
User since 8/4/08

awesome responses fellas.  will definitely give the tail cutting a try this year if i can tangle with a flatty.

3/7/20 @ 3:21 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Flathead cats are divine. I've eaten them up to 20 lb (now only keep under 10 lb) and no discernible difference in taste. I would rather have Flathead than Walleye or Sauger. Bluegill and Perch slightly edge out Flathead, but not by much. The meat has the consistency of scallops. Delicious. As was said, you MUST bleed them out. I cut the tail on both sides and let it swim around in the live-well til it croaks. Most channels I catch get smoked. I only keep 15-20 inchers. Excellent that way. Like jerky.

3/6/20 @ 11:10 PM
doohop65
User since 2/23/10

Step 1- Catch cat fish.

Step 2- throw cat fish back in the water

Step 3- eat a walleye or steak

3/6/20 @ 2:47 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I prefer Channel Cats, but as has been mentioned, care is most important. Trim the mud line and the strip of fat along the top of fillet. We have been cutting the tails off, then throwing them in an ice filled cooler. It gets a bit messy, but it's worth it.

3/6/20 @ 11:29 AM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Flatheads are definitely superior to channels. With either species the smaller the better, anything over 24" goes back. Bleed them out and remove the blood line/red meat for better taste. 

3/5/20 @ 4:00 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Caught plenty of Flathead, but never tried. Guess from other's saying so that cooked(boiled) like Poorman's Lobster is far superior tasting than a Channel Catfish cooked using any method/recipe any day. I've eaten plenty of Channel Catfish baked, fried, boiled, and smoked. The smaller one's definitely are better to my taste buds depending what body of water they came out of and area caught at the time of the year. Channel Catfish any size smoked doesn't seem to matter since the brine and smoking process kills most off taste, especially the larger one's. I try to cut out most of the mud line(a.k.a. blood line) if filleting and some areas of the belly meat if it look's toxic. I like to make a Smoked Fish Spread out of larger Channel Catfish I keep and other rough species of fish. A few cold Mt. Dew's(lol, nottt...) and Smoked Fish Spread on a Ritz style cracker make's me a happy Angler!

3/4/20 @ 5:20 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I vote for 16 to 20 inch channels

3/4/20 @ 2:32 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Flatheads and by a mile but wouldn't agree with best in the river.  lol

3/4/20 @ 12:00 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I believe without a doubt Fatheads. Maybe best eating fish in the river.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE