Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2016 Getting Ready

3/2/16 @ 5:54 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
I got my writing done for the winter and am now getting ready to spend a couple weeks on the road preaching the gospel of catfish. We are are about six weeks out of catfishing here on the Red.

It seems time to get things ready and new stuff purchased. I am really not needing anything this year other than hooks and line.

What is on your list?

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/24/16 @ 9:50 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16

What a crazy year it has been.  As always mother nature throws a few curve balls into the season but it has been an amazing run.  As we come to the end of this much anticipated season all I will say now is many boat records have fallen and a couple were absolutely crushed.  More info on this to come in a few weeks when we end the season.

I will tell you that the boat total has been broken and the channel cat over 20 pounds record has be smashed!

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
4/15/16 @ 11:25 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
All of a sudden catfishing has gotten quiet. We finally have some warm weather on the horizon and from what I saw yesterday things should happen fast next week. So excited to get rolling for 2016.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
4/5/16 @ 8:52 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
I am not much help with the specifics of your area but my advice is find out what the top natural and cut baits for the area are and get some tips on the general area.

If you are truly new to catfishing I recommend getting the In-Fisherman book Catfish Fever to help you get started. After you get rolling with that book I have a couple others that are river and specific that may help you out.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
4/4/16 @ 6:22 PM
Ice Fishen Fire fighter
User since 4/4/16
This year im looking to catch my first cat. I Just moved out to lower Mississippi in Wisconsin. any tips on how to catch cats other than stink bait and a plug. such as some live bait to use or fake lures.

4/4/16 @ 8:36 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
It appears winter is not quite done here on the Red. The past few days have been horrible cold and are pushing water temps back into the 30s.. Looks like a few more weeks at this rate.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
3/21/16 @ 10:13 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Ok the bug has bitten me now. Last week we watched the ice break up on the Red and on the weekend I was in Montana catching catfish on the Yellowstone River. So fun getting back into the swing of things. I plan to pick my river boat up this weekend and should be in business next week on the Red.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
3/18/16 @ 10:48 PM
thatbassguy
User since 1/20/09
Svitreum, don't forget we're now reqired to use inline circle hooks or quick strike rigs on minnows and bait fish 8" or longer in WI. I don't know if you already use circle hooks, but I highly recommend them.

I was in Florida recently and I picked up some mustad inline circles to try and some some vmc tournament circles that look a lot like the team catfish dual action circles that I usually use.

I also got some inline trolling weights to try a new rig for tightlining. I usually fish slack water, so I was looking for an alternative to a 3-way rig.

Going to spend tomorrow putting fresh line on my cattin' rods and getting rigged up for a trip to the old cooling pond. Looking forward to it!

Ready for spring! Tight lines, gentlemen 8-)

3/4/16 @ 1:21 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Bait is always an issue. With all these ANS laws coming up in every state make bait collecting and transport a nightmare. I was told by a big shot tournament guy "the best bait collectors are often the most successful anglers." I believe this for the most part. Over the years I have become very effective at bait collection usually through purchase but I usually have the right bait and I always have bait.

doesn't hurt that I have 2 commercial bait tanks and 2 freezers just for bait either.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
3/3/16 @ 6:22 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I am going to rig up 2 heavy rods for flatheads and try to spend more time pursuing them this summer. Work is ridiculous and the places I fish for catfish are not close by. Still, I am hoping for at least 4-6 opportunities this summer to get out and try out a few things I learned about catfish behavior over this winter thru all the research and reading I did. Definitely got a game plan that should work. My biggest obstacle is as usual, what to use for bait. I am going to try medium to large suckers (6"-8" long) this year. Catching baitfish of suitable size on this river to fish with is daunting. I spent 2 hours last year trying to find some sunfish and caught just one. I think they mainly forage on sheepshead, and I just can't seem to catch one small enough for bait.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.