Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

salted minnows

5/11/14 @ 3:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Just order up about 1200 salted fatheads from minnesota bait and tackle to use on my trip to canada at the end of the month. Has any body had any experience with salted minnows.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/12/14 @ 7:50 AM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Here is my $.02 for what it is worth.

I have been going to Canada for 12 years (and have fished five different lakes) and have used mainly crawlers for our June trips and crawlers and leeches for our late August trip. Minnows are expensive and more work to keep alive than crawlers packed in paper or leeches. If you are going to slip bobber, then a "lively" minnow would be better than a salted I would think (personally, I like a medium leech for slip-bobbering). However, we mainly troll or cast and retrieve and I don't think the walleyes can tell if it is "lively" or not.

It is not uncommon for my buddy and I to go to a drive to lake and have 75-100 fish days. I think location, speed, depth and color make more of a difference than the meat on the end of the line. Fish where the fish are and you will do fine with whatever bait you bring.

Good luck. Smile

7/10/14 @ 12:59 PM
Mic2
User since 6/11/09
I have tried them, did not like them.. fell apart quickly, my 2 cents is nothing beats a lively minnow, if the fish are there they bite, and will hit anything. We have brought in about 15 dozen minnows in an aerated cooler in Manitoba , ran out quickly and had to use the salted minnows and gulp. Should have brought in leeches and nitecrawlers always a lesson to be learned on these trips.

7/9/14 @ 9:22 PM
fishies
User since 1/2/12
Sounds like people really like the salted minnows from MN Bait and Tackle so I plan on getting them for an upcoming trip to the English River. If anyone has any morecomments about how long they last I'd appreciate them. I worry that they'd get sort as my homespun ones have. Please assure me that that won't happen. PM me as needed. Thanks.

Mike Chippewa Falls

7/7/14 @ 1:42 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06
Tell us more. How were the minnows packaged? Shipping costs? how did they defrost?

7/7/14 @ 12:22 PM
Whitetail Willie
User since 6/20/01
Just got back from Ontario, first time trying salted minnows. Worked just as good if not better than live minnows. They are firmer and stay on hook longer than live/dead minnows. Gulp didn't work, crawlers and leaches also worked just fine. Our camp stopped supplying minnows but we were able to still take in 30 doz in 5 gallon buckets, sunk in lake with holes drilled in and kept alive just fine for a week.

6/15/14 @ 4:50 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
After trying the salted minnows from minnesota bait and tackle co. I would never buy another live minnow again.Highly recommended.

5/13/14 @ 6:19 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Minnows arrived today and I am very impressed how good they look. It sure will be nice if these work as good or better than live minnows.

3/24/14 @ 4:09 PM
fishies
User since 1/2/12
I have taken them to Canada many times. I've used borax and salted my own, putting a few dozen each in baggies, and keeping them in a cooler in camp. They work well and catch fish but do get soft after a few days. Maybe there is a trick to keep that from happening. I now buy 1/2 flat of crawlers. They are easy to keep and walleyes love them.

5/12/14 @ 11:04 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06
I made my own and tried them in Canada. I didn't see much difference from plastic baits.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.