Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Entry to Canada.

11/6/17 @ 12:06 PM
ORIGNAL POST
kaw77
User since 8/12/03

Had OWI 20 years ago. Can I get into Canada.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/4/18 @ 1:13 PM
courage1
User since 4/29/09

You should have NO problems.

3/27/18 @ 8:46 AM
NARDA1
NARDA1
User since 3/27/11

Contact Canadian Customs and see what they have to say.

3/26/18 @ 3:20 PM
twotimes
User since 1/8/13

Ashamed to say this but I have a felony charge for possession of marijuana and DUI I have no chance?

2/13/18 @ 3:24 PM
Timmothy A
MEMBER since 5/17/09

I've never understood how allowing entry into a country can be so discretionary.  To me it should be black and white; after X amount of time you are allowed in no questions asked.  My son got a DUI this fall, so we're done going to Canada, though it sucks not to be able to use the knowledge we've gained again.  We're in the process of picking a lake for next year's trip (we go every other year), right now Cass Lake in MN is in the lead, looking for an unpressured musky lake, we were going to Wabigoon.  

2/13/18 @ 12:22 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

As with others here, I cannot go to Canada anymore.  I's meant losing a family tradition started in the mid 70s.  That said, I have found fishing and wilderness experiences in WI, MN, ND, NS, etc. to be as good and even sometimes better than Canada.  Canada is a great place to go and I will miss it.  One thing this has taught me is not to overlook all the great opportunities right here under my nose. 

2/13/18 @ 11:51 AM
Down2erth
Down2erth
User since 6/21/01

No, there is still a problem! Resorts can talk till their blue in the face but as wini stated, there is still no certainty and your still at the mercy of the border agent you get!

I have looked into this very extensively as well and after many calls and e-mails, Your best bet is to go through a Immigration Attorney and do it right. Of coarse that comes at a price and still does not guarantee you passage.

Because of a single DUI I will probably never step foot on Canadian soil again. At first it really bothered me, but when I think of the hoops you have to jump through to get in, I say screw em, yet I understand and blame no one but myself for my situation. Worse part in all of this was the fact I could'nt take my 85 yo father back to Canada when he is still very capable of going.

There is no fishing good enough that would warrant having to pay the price you would have to pay to gain legal entry. We now fish Northern Wi. and even if fishing is not as great the week I spend with my father still is.

2/12/18 @ 3:25 PM
courage1
User since 4/29/09

No problem now. the resorts put some pressure on the  entry to Canada/

1/30/18 @ 5:46 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
User since 1/12/14

My real life experience,

Wanted to fish Canada, was at the 9yr mark since dui. I called Fort Francis spoke with someone, filled out like 17 pages, 3 letters of recommendation, all address and employment since 18 paid around $200. Submitted it 6 plus months ahead of expected arrival. Got back 1 letter stating I was deemed rehibilated and to never lose the letter. Gave the guard the letter, he read it gave it back and was good to go. This was 4yrs ago.

1/30/18 @ 2:31 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I have been crossing the border about 5 to 7 times each year for about 20 years. Because several fellow fishermen have DUIs, I have spent a lot of time studying the subject and talking to Canadian personnel.

My conclusion is there are no certainties. Everything depends on the agent you are dealing with when you cross. I was promised by a young man I took fishing this year that he had no DUIs. We had no problem crossing the border in either direction. Later he disclosed to me that he did have a DUI about 10 years ago.

It would be so nice if there was a way to have certainty. There is a procedure to cleanse your record if you do have a DUI, but even that doesn't come with a guarantee.

Another friend got a DUI about two years ago. He hopes to be able to return to Canadian fishing in another three years. However I had a long discussion with the border agent this summer and the agent took the position that the five-year period for cleansing does not begin until after you have completed the sentence or probation. She also took the position that it then takes approximately an additional year of paperwork and expense to complete the cleansing process.

Another thing to remember is that even a pending DUI can keep you out of Canada. In other words you are guilty before you're found guilty. Canada takes drinking and driving extremely seriously.

Having crossed the border many times, I'm always amazed at the speed at which the border agents can approve entry for eight fishermen. I swear that within 30 seconds after handing eight  passports to the border agent, we are cleared to go in.

My wish-come up with a system that provides certainty. Who wants to plan a fishing trip to Canada that is ruined for all fishermen in the group if one can't get in.

If safety is the Canadian concern, wouldn't it make more sense to prohibit anyone with a DUI from operating a vehicle in Canada. The could be strong fines involved for anybody operating in the vehicle in Canada if they have had a DUI. One can only conclude that Canada truly wishes to simply punish those with a DUI. This was the attitude of the agent I talked to this past summer. She had absolutely no pity for anybody with a DUI.

1/30/18 @ 11:50 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

The only problem with going to ND is dealing with the ND people who don't want non-residents fishing there.  You'll find better behaved Eagles fans.

Fishermen who drive up and yell at you for setting up within 100 yards of a local....air let out of your tires at landings.....business who suddenly "run out of food" when they find out you aren't a ND resident....county sheriffs IN UNIFORM telling you to stay in your own state and catch your own fish....

You might find better reception around Devils Lake, where they understand the value of tourism, but stay away from the little towns.

My parents actually bought a house there so we'd have a place to stay, paying the outrageous non-resident property tax.  They sold it a year later because no fish is worth what we had to put up with.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.